CharGriller Problems, part deux

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ironhead USER_AVATAR
ironhead
Pilgrim

Re: CharGriller Problems, part deux

Postby ironhead » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I may have solved my temp problems, finally! I undid the reverse flow vent stack mod, and removed all but one tuning plate. I left the baffle mod in, just to cut down on the hot spot right in front of the SFB opening, and I left one tuning plate at the far end, which is now right above the vent stack opening at grate level.

I built a normal Kingsford charcoal fire in my Weber Chimney, and loaded the charcoal basket to level. I then added 3 sticks of pecan wood, and left the SFB door open until I had a regular bonfire going. Shut the SFB door, with vent wide open as well as stack wide open.

In mere minutes, I was over 400 degrees! :shock: I've never been above 275, so I was quite shocked, to say the least. I now have been tweaking with vents and wood, and have been anywhere between 225 and 300 for several hours. I got so giddy over my hot temps, that I quickly made up some ABT's and pulled out a small brisket and rubbed it down and threw them on the CharGriller.

So far, so good! Thanks to all who offered tips and suggestions! I may yet win this battle!

ironhead
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Congrats. :goof: :clap:
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
ironhead USER_AVATAR
ironhead
Pilgrim

Postby ironhead » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 pm

The ABT's just came off - they are darn good! I ate four all by myself.... sorry, I'm so ashamed! :D

Just checked the brisket temp (I'm trying the "hot and fast" method) and it was at 163, so I foiled it and added my "secret basting sauce" to the pan... :lol:

More updates to come - I'm just so tickled to actually have to choke down a fire to control temps, that I am almost beside myself!!!
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Only four? Nothing to be ashamed of. Consider it a reward for finally figuring out your pit.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
ironhead USER_AVATAR
ironhead
Pilgrim

Postby ironhead » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:41 pm

HarvestMoon wrote:Only four? Nothing to be ashamed of. Consider it a reward for finally figuring out your pit.

Six... wait, seven... :shock:

I've read a lot of topics and threads on this board, talking about "getting to know your smoker". I always thought that was just guys who were in way too deep with their equipment. I will never underestimate that kind of talk again, thats for sure! I took for granted fire and smoke, as if they were a "given". No longer will I make that mistake. Give a guy plenty of fire and smoke, and it comes down to prep and seasonings. Take away a constant temp and then the struggles begin. Now that I have (hopefully) figured out my smoke and temp issues, I can begin the "fun" part of tweaking taste and texture.
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:29 am

Congratulations :D :D :D . Lets see some pictures of those ABTs :D. Ok So its toolate on the ABTs, maybe pictures of the brisket :?:
ironhead USER_AVATAR
ironhead
Pilgrim

Postby ironhead » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 am

CliffCarter wrote:Congratulations :D :D :D . Lets see some pictures of those ABTs :D. Ok So its toolate on the ABTs, maybe pictures of the brisket :?:

The ABT's didn't stand a chance... they didn't see me coming, and never knew what hit them! 8)

The brisket turned out ok, I'd give it 3 out of 4 "ironheads" :D - flavor, smoke ring, etc. were all great - I may have done it just a tad fast though. I did pull it when it hit 200 degrees, wrapped the foiled pan in heavy cotton towels, and let it rest in a cooler for an hour. It was a little tougher than I like, but it is not chewy or too tough at all. It has plenty of "bite" - I'd just like it to be a little less.

I now have the temps to go to work on those very kinds of problems - I have options now, whereas I never did before - and that is a good thing.

As far as pictures go - I failed miserably in that area on this cook. Normally, I have my Kodak at the ready, as evidenced by my posts with links to probably way-too-many pics - I do tend to take more pics than necessary - but for some reason, last night I was busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. I had fire! I had high temps! I had to scramble to get some food ready to go on what I thought was only going to be another test burn.

The brisket looked and tasted great - it was moist, with a good even smoke ring, plus some nice bark. I wish I'd have taken pics - next time I will photo document the process and results.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”