Anyone seen a Gator?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Anyone seen a Gator?

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 13, 2007 10:46 am

Seems a bit high, but what do I know?
http://cgi.ebay.com/BBQ-Competition-and ... dZViewItem
Last edited by DATsBBQ on Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun May 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Looks like a typical old fuel hawg pain in the booty log burner to me. If I had some money burning a hole in my pocket I would go for one of the highly efficient insulated uprights. BWS...Stumps..etc. Several down here got the BWS Fatboy. Now a pit like that makes sense. You load it up and go take a nap.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Those are some high priced smokers. It's OK if you like stick burners. They are supposed to be very well made smokers. :)
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 13, 2007 4:29 pm

looks like it's in my neck of the woods..looks brand new too! 8K sounds about right for a pit like that, they probably paid 10K+ new with all the options
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 13, 2007 4:51 pm

I think you had it right the first time, DATs. It's a Bates smoker not a Gator. :D :D That is a huge pit setup and loaded with options. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 13, 2007 5:05 pm

I thought so too, but when I went back and looked at the ebay page, his description starts out as "Bates Smoker just two years old and stored inside..."

I looked at the pits at gatorpit.net and the bate's site and to me it looks more like a gator. If so, that puppy is work $6K, maybe $7K new and high bid so far is $1,325. Giving me pause to rethink my lust for a Klose pit at 16K :roll: :lol:

And BW does have a point about those things not being too efficient. Got to thinking I should hold off on pulling the trigger until we get a review from SC.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 13, 2007 5:07 pm

I had the wrong link!

This is the one that caught my eye http://cgi.ebay.com/BBQ-SMOKER_W0QQitem ... dZViewItem

I guess I'm just having one of those days
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Yep, that's a Gator. :D It's going cheap so far but, there's 3 days left for bidding. I bet it goes a lot higher. :roll:
SC is going to love his new smoker. :D :D
What BW is talking about is one of the main reasons I got rid of my Lang. The big offsets are not efficient for fuel and need constant tending about every hour. :roll: :(
Jim
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun May 13, 2007 5:49 pm

They both look really good to me. Way to large for what I do, but I have eaten some mighty fine food coming off that kind of pit. Matter of fact I have eaten some pretty good grub on pits made from, 55 gallon drums and pits made from 2 bath tubs. LOL CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I thought so too, but when I went back and looked at the ebay page, his description starts out as "Bates Smoker just two years old and stored inside..."

I looked at the pits at gatorpit.net and the bate's site and to me it looks more like a gator. If so, that puppy is work $6K, maybe $7K new and high bid so far is $1,325. Giving me pause to rethink my lust for a Klose pit at 16K :roll: :lol:

And BW does have a point about those things not being too efficient. Got to thinking I should hold off on pulling the trigger until we get a review from SC.

Oh, I'm sure I'll give you a review and it'll pass with flying colors. Those stick burners are nice, believe me, wouldn't mind havin one parked in my driveway but that's about it, it's eye candy. Once you realize the efficiency of a spicewine or stumps, well that eye candy just ain't all that important when you can get a good nights sleep or stuff done around the house :wink:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”