Zinc based primer

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Cas8101
Pilgrim

Zinc based primer

Postby Cas8101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 am

Just completed a home shop built receiver hitch pit for the house and hauling to the deer lease for camp grilling. I've built a few pits and offset cookers and have always just ground the pipe down with a wire cup brush on my angle grinder then warmed the pit after cleaning the dust off and sprayed the pit with a few coats of rustoleun high heat paint. Served me pretty well, burns off here and there over the years and touch it up. Well I have seen some people suggest to have it blasted and then prime with inorganic zinc primer before painting. This is a new concept to me regarding pit painting. I always thought anything zinc related to be a big NO NO for cookers. Can someone enlighten me as to how this is a safe practice? Once it bonds to the metal it can't off gas on the external paint job? I have access to inorganic zinc primer but it's only rated to 750 degrees. I'm not sure my pit would ever get that hot but I wouldn't doubt it when I light a big fire in there to burn down to coals that I could be near that threshold for an hour or so while it burns down.
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Re: Zinc based primer

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 am

I have all my cookers blasted and primed with inorganic zinc. You do not paint the inside it is an outside coating that lasts. The hottest I have ever gotten the top of my firebox was about 675° well below the primers rating.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Cas8101
Pilgrim

Postby Cas8101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Well I may just give it a go then. What about repainting when the time comes? That primer will be bonded to the metal so do you just scuff up the high heat top coat and re paint and not worry about repriming?
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 pm

I have never had to re-coat one of my cookers the top coat has been on for about two years on my little trailer mount and 7 years on my big cooker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”