First Competition

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

First Competition

Postby TxSquarebody » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Howdy!
I'll be entering my first competition on October 5th. It is a small local event, but I'd still like to have fun and hopefully do well. The rules state no gas or electrics, which is fine by me, but also states backyard rigs only. I have my little char-griller with offset attachment that I run well, but how is "backyard grill" defined? I assume it's just no trailer rigs.

Also, it is three meats...ribs, brisket, chicken thighs...12 noon, 2pm, and 4pm turn-in respectively. Rules state quiet time is midnight until 6am. Does that usually mean no cooking, or just be quiet?? :dont:

I'll be posting up practice runs!
Last edited by TxSquarebody on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom 500 gallon trailer smoker, char-grill duo side by side with added fire box, maroon 36" firedisc, 36" Blackstone
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: First Competition

Postby TX1911 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Not sure what they will consider "backyard", but you can probably expect at least some small trailer pits.

Quiet time is just no loud music or parties. You can keep on cooking.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Good Luck to you and your team. :tup: :salut:

Do you mind posting the location in case there's other members that might be participating or want to ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:51 pm

It is at Bryan/College Station Toyota. $100 entry, proceeds go to Project Unity. :texas:
Custom 500 gallon trailer smoker, char-grill duo side by side with added fire box, maroon 36" firedisc, 36" Blackstone
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you - - - :tup: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Finally got around to practicing chicken. This my first attempt at just thighs. I know yall can't taste the picture, but I welcome critiques on appearance.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Good luck brother, hope all is well in the Brazos Valley. Quiet time is generally described as a next door neighbor is not kept awake by yer activity. Highly recommended if you have a cook buddy that they go too and split the nighthawk (night watch) with you and DEFINITELY GET SOME SLEEP. Come slicing time it will help you keep all yer fingers.

And kick some butt!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 am

I know zero about comp cooking but from the lols of that photo I’d polish that chicken off right down to the bone. Looks fantastic. Great color and it appears to have a nice bite through skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:23 am

Today's practice run is brisket. There were no primes available in town so I'm cooking a choice cut. I placed an order for a couple of primes to make sure I have them for competition day. The focus will be on keeping a steady heat and clear/blue smoke. I usually add wood chunks, but get dirty smoke when I do. Again, this is a small char-griller with firebox attachment. So today, I'm running on B&B oak lump and a little bit of mesquite lump. Here's hoping it turns out edible!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:42 am

If your wood is seasoned it will burn blue. I have a stick burner and after starting with a chimney of charcoal all I burn is wood.
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 am

The wood seems very seasoned and dry, but maybe it isn't? I really want to burn pecan for flavor in the competition, but have always had issues holding steady heat burning wood. I know it is due to the rig I have, but I gotta make it run right 'cause it's all I have right now.
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Brisket was done, rested, and we were eating 12 hours after cook started. Before, I smoked to 160, wrapped in butcher paper, pulled at 203, rested for an hour. It had a great crust, but had a sort of "membrane" that was tough. This time, I smoked to 160 fat side up, directly on the grill, panned it fat side down and covered with foil to 203, removed foil for 15 minutes to reset bark, rested 2 hours. Holy cow! Perfect tenderness, nice bark (solid without being crunchy), great smoke ring. I read a lot today about separating the point from the flat for competition as well as injecting being the norm these days. I may try that next time, as it could use more moisture, but this method worked! I'm also wondering how much a difference a prime cut makes over choice when it comes to moisture content.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Nice looking briskt. But how do you know it is done at 203?
txsquarebody USER_AVATAR
TxSquarebody
Rustler

Postby TxSquarebody » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 pm

GRailsback wrote:Nice looking briskt. But how do you know it is done at 203?

It had the right "jiggle" and felt buttery smooth with the temp probe.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 pm

I never argue when I see the Right Jiggle ....

.......and this one here looks to be right on track !

Nice job man !

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”