Chicken

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TexasSmokers
Pilgrim

Chicken

Postby TexasSmokers » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 pm

I am curious what flavor profile works best for competition chicken? I am planning on entering a competition soon and have been using a commercial BBQ sauce with a little Texas Pepper habanero chicken sauce added in, I like the flavor but don't know if that is a normal profile for chicken in comps, that in advance.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Chicken

Postby k.a.m. » Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 pm

It really is more about what the meat tastes like not the sauce. You can win with sweet baby rays or Kraft original any given day. If the judges like smoked your grilled bird is in trouble if the judges like grilled your smoked bird is in trouble. Shoot for a good back yard BBQ chicken flavor and try it you may be surprised.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
TexasSmokers
Pilgrim

Postby TexasSmokers » Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks for the comment
Ranchertx
Pilgrim

Postby Ranchertx » Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 am

We just did a comp and I bet all of the top ten birds were cooked over a charcoal grill. A sweet/ hot glaze without a lot of color seems to do good. Getting it cooked correctly is most important in my opinion.
jiwoejwoei69
Pilgrim

Postby jiwoejwoei69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:20 pm

:D
Don't cry because it is over,smile because it is happened.You should remember,our BBQ grill mat are always here with you.
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 pm

The best chicken I've had is beer butt, done with a rub and sucklebusters chipotle BBQ sauce. In fact I think there's one coming up now I've written it,lol.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 pm

In years past I seemed to do ok when I turned in a bird that was salty and moist on the inside with a sweet heat glaze on the outside. I've seen "pretty birds" do well and "ugly" birds do well, I don't think appearance plays a big part.. thankfully. I once asked a couple judges what they liked about the chicken entries and they told me some of the birds had a nice sweet sauce. I was surprised, cause when I judge I don't even bother with the skin or outside glaze.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”