Team policy question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Team policy question

Postby TX1911 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:08 am

As I'm sure y'all can tell from the lack of detail in our earlier post, this was our first competition and we were trying to figure out how it all works. We had a number of people ask us where our tip jar is. It never occurred to us to have one.

So, my question is, in y'all's experience, is it pretty common to have a tip jar set out? What's your policy on tipping?

Thanks for all of the input. It's very much appreciated.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Team policy question

Postby Finatic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:02 pm

When an event has promoted giving out samples usually tip jars are allowed and commonly set out. At big events you can do pretty well with a tip jar but you'll need a lot of help and need to be pretty organized to do so. Some events will require you to give out samples of bbq (you provide and cook all the meat), put out a tip jar and require you to turn in 100% of the tip money (i.e. the Austin Rodeo). I try to avoid cook off's like this. Most of the sanctioned cooks I participate in do not promote giving out samples and some simply don't allow giving out samples at all.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:12 pm

When Debbie and I do cook offs friday night till about 7:00 P.M. is visit time for us and our friends then I am off to bed.
Saturday is all business and no tip jars or feeding the public in any form or fashion unless I am in a lull between turn ins and someone comes by to visit. I do not do tip jars or promote public feeding I leave that to the party teams.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 pm

I've been known to tip a few back while cooking, thats about as far as tipping goes for me!! :lol:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Friday night I am prepping and visiting my BBQ family. Saturday, I am like KAM, it's all business. If I come back after turning an entry in and some kind folks ask for a sample I will gladly hand some out but if it is time for turning trays in I politely tell the folks I am currently busy. I have never seen a tip jar at a cooksite but have seen a few cookers that were tipsy from drinking jars. :D
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 am

limey wrote:Friday night I am prepping and visiting my BBQ family. Saturday, I am like KAM, it's all business. If I come back after turning an entry in and some kind folks ask for a sample I will gladly hand some out but if it is time for turning trays in I politely tell the folks I am currently busy. I have never seen a tip jar at a cooksite but have seen a few cookers that were tipsy from drinking jars. :D

I resemble that remark sir but it must be something to do with idle hands after I have washed all the cutting boards and such :dont:
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks y'all. I appreciate the input.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit