Need help getting to next level

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rmkrohn USER_AVATAR
RMKROHN
Pilgrim

Need help getting to next level

Postby RMKROHN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:05 am

Hello,

New to board and hope to be active. I was wondering if i can some tips to move to the next level in Compitition BBQ. My team has been getting 11th - 20th in most of the catagoies, and every once in a while 1st - 10th. How can we get to the next level, what are we missing to be more competitive. Any advise and pointers will help. Thanks.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Need help getting to next level

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:13 am

If you get the chance to, try to judge final tables at a competition. That can usually get you in the ballpark on flavor profiles. Also, practice, practice, practice. Learn to be consistent.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 am

Agreed. Seeing the judging side is really important. It will help but you'll get a lot more out of it if you sit at the final table (if the cook is big enough to have one).
rmkrohn USER_AVATAR
RMKROHN
Pilgrim

Postby RMKROHN » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks fellas, how would I be able to do to something like that? Just go to enough events and get to know the people, or is it something i have to sign up for?
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Sometimes you can contact the organizers ahead of time to get signed up, or just show up to the event fairly early and speak with the organizers or head judge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:20 am

I pulled this from another thread I just posted to.
The best advice I can give to you is learn how to cook good cold BBQ it is that simple. Staying consistent with your turn in product is important meaning if you hit with tender ribs don't mess up and turn in under cooked ribs. You walked in two meats and hit a final table with 45 teams in my opinion your product spoke for itself that day so do it again. DO NOT MAKE CHANGES until you know that product is not hitting a final table. In my opinion final tables are not a reason to change a recipe drastically but maybe make a subtle change if they are consistently there.
At 45 teams you probably had 1.5 hour turn in times this means by the time your product hit a final table it was tasted by at least 10 different people in an hours time at this point in the game 10 minutes before or after means nothing.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Postby PaulWhita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm

We spent more time judging than competing this year and it has helped. All we did was show up and ask to judge. Sat at final tables every time.
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”