BBQ Pitmasters and the effect it's had on comps

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

BBQ Pitmasters and the effect it's had on comps

Postby Speed » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Our team has been around since June of 2009. This was the same year that BBQ Pitmasters first aired. We were into comps before this show came out or at least before I knew about it. Did this show get you into cooing comps? How do you think this show has effected the comps in Texas? I can tell a whole lot of guys got into comps after seeing the show just as everyone thought they were a poker player after the World Poker tour became a TV show. I think the show put a whole new spin on what competition bbq is about. What are your thoughts?
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: BBQ Pitmasters and the effect it's had on comps

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm

I can say that the focus on BBQ + the number of people BBQ-ing in general including Comps has grown exponentially and I feel the TVs shows have a lot to do with it...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Very interesting topic Speed. I can tell you I don't do comps then or now. However I have had thoughts since the show came out. Just can't find the extra time. I cooked before the show came out but my interest in cooking and frequency has definitely increased since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 pm

For me and my wife it has had zero effect we have only watched maybe one re-run at a friends house. We do not watch much TV any way. If you want to know what it is like to compete turn off the TV and get into the trenches ;).
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:36 pm

I see a lot of people dissing Pitmasters, and I just shake my head. I believe it has increased interest in BBQ 10-fold. Sure, there is some BS, it is reality TV. But folks can pick up a lot of tips on techniques and equipment. There are even some great recipes to be had. Squeal like a Pig pork rub is some of the best I've ever used.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:02 am

Well we started comp cooking in San Antonio back in 2007 and back then there was maybe 2 or 3 cook-offs in the area including the S/A Rodeo at least that I know of.
Now fast forward 9 years later and yes sir a lot more going on. I believe there's at least 10 good cook offs in the area a year at least within a 30 mile radius from where I live.

I think its great and am looking forward to more coming around, The only thing is that the entry fees seem to be going up as well. There's a good little cook off in the area that 4 years ago started at $100.00 entry and this year has gone up to $250.00. Mind you the event has gone from 25 teams to over 50 and the walking money has also gotten bigger but it sure makes it hard to do more cook-offs. we went from 7--10 cook offs a year to like 4--5

Ric G.
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:10 pm

For me, I liked the first season of the show. It followed the teams around to actual cook-offs. The other seasons have been not as entertaining for me. I hated season 2! I have been able to pick up some techniques and "shig" some recipes from some of the shows but I still find myself going back to what I do versus their way. I wonder if there will be a down turn in participation after a while. Much the same as the Poker I spoke about. You hardly hear of it anymore but a few years back, it's all you heard about.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Speed wrote:...I wonder if there will be a down turn in participation after a while...

I certainly hope not. BBQ is ingrained in America. I don't see it fading away.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 am

I had been cooking and smoking meat for sometime before I first caught some of the first season of Pitmasters. I had also contemplated doing a few cook offs before I saw Pitmasters, but after watching a marathon of the first season, I finally decided to scratch that itch. So I would say that yes, BBQ Pitmasters inspired me to start competition cooking. As far as the growth of BBQ, I agree with Okie, it has helped tremendously, although the current format is not as awesome as Season 1, however, BBQ Pit Wars has seemed to catch some of the magic Season 1 had. I think both the KCBS and IBCA have flourished since 2009, but as in all things, there is a cycle. I already started to see it last year locally with several events that had been around for a few years, cancel and have not returned to the schedule, but at the same time several new events have popped up, including one I help promote in my hometown. I wonder sometimes if us cooks are hurting more than helping the growth, only seeking out the guaranteed payouts, the big $...not that there is anything wrong with "getting paid" as Myron loved to say in Season 1, but supporting the small town cooks with a 75% payback, or even donating back a check from time to time at a cook that is benefiting a group or individual is something we should all do much more often. This will keep the 15 to 25 teams events coming back each year and help BBQ as a whole. As far as a downturn in participation, that has yet to show up, if anything there is an upturn. I would bet for every 1 team that quit cooking this year, there are probably 4 new teams.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:32 pm

:tup:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”