How many inject for brisket and chicken

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Monster Buck
Pilgrim

How many inject for brisket and chicken

Postby Monster Buck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:11 am

I'm just seeing how many people who cook comps inject their brisket and chicken and how many don't. How well do you do in comps with either method. I don't inject, I feel If I could win constantly with just the rub that would make me a great cook. That being said I was wondering if injecting gets more calls and money because I guess at the end of the day it's all about wether or not you get paid so you can fund your next Comp. But the people you meet in comps are great also. My comments in no way mean people that inject are not great cooks so my apologies to all that took it the wrong way.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: How many inject for brisket and chicken

Postby Finatic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't inject either and have walked in both categories. I think the main thing is to keep it moist regardless of how you accomplish that.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Consistent top five calls are going to be injected.
I will say there is more to the injection getting it there flavor is a big part.
When you get into larger comps and your meat is subjected to sometimes three or more tables and over 2 hrs. of judging. Non injected meat stands a much lesser chance of retaining the needed flavor and moisture.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:56 am

I inject both and get consistent calls.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 am

Brine and inject my chicken...always a toss up category for me, have done well, but also have failed to even show up..ugh. Did I mention I hate yard bird?
Brisket, inject every time. To me though brisket success depends on several other factors beside whether you inject or not, but I agree with KAM, I feel like you really need to inject to keep up with the top cooks, because they are (KAM is one of them!). It's just another layer of flavor and a move that can help with moisture retention. On the other hand, if you will start out with a higher quality piece of meat (Prime or a really good Choice (wet aged) , you have also increased your odds of success more than just by simply adding an injection to your process. Cooking it right and hitting your marks for tenderness are right behind meat quality, and still slightly ahead of injecting in my pecking order of brisket success.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Inject yardbird & brisket
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:30 pm

You may walk without injecting... BUT if you aint injecting, you ain't winning (and by winning I mean top 3). If offers too many pros from flavor to moisture to not do it.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bigalʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
BigAl's BBQ
Rustler

Postby BigAl's BBQ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 am

I have not entered a competition to date, that said I do a mean "choice" brisket but don't "inject" the BBQ.
I have a Texan buddy who has competed in Calgary, Canada. His Team is "Larripan Station" and he judged
BBQ on the Bow last year, he does inject and has won the chicken plate before. Here's my "Father's Day"
Cowapalooza brisket "Held in cooler" for 2 hrs. Photo shows my Dry Rub ingredient's, well mostly.
Dry rub & "Texas Crunch" method believer!

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”