Competition Cooking Equipment

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chiefsmoke USER_AVATAR
chiefsmoke
Pilgrim

Competition Cooking Equipment

Postby chiefsmoke » Wed May 27, 2015 1:19 pm

What are required/suggested pits to have? Size, Style? New guy wanting to compete. :happ:
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Competition Cooking Equipment

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Depends on your budget and what suits you. Some people compete with drums, some use cabinet style smokers, pellet poopers, offset smokers, etc. Some use a combination of pits. I use a drum and an offset, but that's what suits me, and what I can afford.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 pm

No need for an expensive pit, though there are many nice ones, and they definitely make it a little easier sometimes to not have to move meat around and so forth. If you walk down any aisle, you'll see the gamut. A lot of people are definitely competing and doing well with drums and there are also a lot of Weber Smokey Mountains. A couple of times I've seen guys who were first-timers drag a couple of kettles out there. Many guys with big pits still cook their chicken in a kettle. Maybe you could pick an event close to you and visit and see if you can talk to some people and see how they do things. You'll want to hold on doing that on judging day (Saturday most days) between 10:30-ish and 2:30, because that's crunch time :bounce:
chiefsmoke USER_AVATAR
chiefsmoke
Pilgrim

Postby chiefsmoke » Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 pm

thanks fellas... gonna do some upgrade mods to my outlaws, been researching and reading and am very excited to do this. 8) green rookie :mrgreen:
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Best of luck!
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:22 am

An offset cooker and a drum is a solid combination. I think it's important to start off with an offset cooker (regardless of the size) and get the hang of building and maintaining a fire.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”