Whatever happened to that mentoring idea?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Whatever happened to that mentoring idea?

Postby riseabove50 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:57 pm

a while back someone had asked about whether competition teams would be willing to let a greenhorn to the world of cook-offs come in to their camp and observe/help out and get some un-official experience in a cook-off. for example, I'm curious about getting into competitions, but I'm one of those guys that needs to see it done first before I feel confident enough to venture into the water on my own. I'm not talking about sharing/stealing recipes and/or ingredients. I'd just like to know the ins and outs of a competition from start to finish, what to do, where to go, how to do certain things (like presentation for example), etc. I know with summer here the competitions are probably ramping up. so are there any Houston area cook-off teams interested in temporarily adopting a newbie who is willing to carry his weight during a competition just to get an education on the event?

Thanks very much guys.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Whatever happened to that mentoring idea?

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon May 04, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm having a BBQ class on Saturday may 16... Will cut ur learning curve by years and save you thousands of dollars and frustration.... I would consider the mentoring idea, but it would be a Cookoff in the Dallas ft worth area ...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
cannonball express USER_AVATAR
Cannonball Express
Rustler

Postby Cannonball Express » Tue May 05, 2015 7:07 am

The best advice I can give you would be to either go judge an event or take a class. There are a few guys out there that may let you come hang out but 99% of cooks have a certain way they do things and they prefer to do it themselves. There are several guys that do classes and will let you come "shadow" them at a cookoff, but that is gonna cost you as well. Rednecks class would be absolutely great for you, I would recommend his class or for you to go judge an event. Hope this helps...

TC
Tyler "TC" Cannon
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 am

+1 for RC's class. That's money that has paid for itself a few times now, at least for me. I'm not sure exactly of the mentoring opportunity you're talking about, but if it's the one I'm thinking of that's only available for the people to take that guy's class. As a supplement, he had offered for any of those who took his class the option of shadowing a cookoff. Again, that's if this was the one that I'm thinking about. I hadn't seen other posts about a mentoring opp.
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:46 am

Been a slow year so far. I'm no expert, but I would be happy to let someone shadow us at our next event. I'm up in the Spring area (FM 2920, I-45) area. message me or email me and i'll put you onto our facebook page where we announce our next competition. No charge LOL
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 am

Markw142 wrote:Been a slow year so far. I'm no expert, but I would be happy to let someone shadow us at our next event. I'm up in the Spring area (FM 2920, I-45) area. message me or email me and i'll put you onto our facebook page where we announce our next competition. No charge LOL

thanks a ton for the offer! I will definitely be interested in shadowing or helping out any way I can. I promise, no stealing recipes, secret techniques or other proprietary info.
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Fri May 08, 2015 6:58 pm

I always recommend Redneck Cooker's Class to everyone starting out or even backyard cooks. My cooks weren't BAD before but it was night and difference from before the class to after. Instant results!
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
love pork nʹ my wife USER_AVATAR
LOVE PORK N' MY WIFE
Pilgrim

Postby LOVE PORK N' MY WIFE » Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 pm

I asked thru your website but never got a response, when will your next class be after the May class? We are having a bday party for our oldest on the 16th or I would be there.
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Wed May 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Take Redneck's class.. It will give you what you are looking for.....
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”