cambro performance

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

allend23
Wrangler

cambro performance

Postby allend23 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:13 pm

OK fellas Im really looking into getting a cambro or something comparable. Realistically what is the performance yall are getting out of them? Will it hold a brisket overnight?
-Allen Day
Sons of Barbecue

Pitmaker trailer with Vault and Grillmeister
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: cambro performance

Postby bsooner75 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Very interested in this thread. I've been having similar thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue May 27, 2014 8:03 pm

I love all mine, and I have several. I've done pork shoulders that I immediately pulled off and put in the Cambro, and 6 hours later I still needed gloves because they were h-o-t. One thing that helps is I have H-Pans and GripLids so it seals...TIGHT. And then if they're preheated prior to putting in meat, I've had it stay warm overnight with no problem. I have a UPC400 upright and two top-loads 8 inches deep. They're handy like a pocket on a shirt :mrgreen:

A cooler will work alright, but not NEARLY as good as a Cambro or a Carlisle food transport.

Hope that helps...
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue May 27, 2014 8:58 pm

igloo and a towel?????
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 pm

TXLNGHRN wrote:igloo and a towel?????

Lol, I have done a 6 hr hold using this method, very effective! I usually only do 2 - 3 hrs and it's as hot as off the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2
ucsteve
Pilgrim

Postby ucsteve » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 am

I'd sure like to have one, but for the cost I'll stick to heating up my landscape paver on the firebox and wrapping it in a towel for the igloo. I would think for catering it would be well worth the $$ though
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed May 28, 2014 9:47 am

Depends on the size of the Cambro. If you have spare room for a standard pan, or half pan, then you can add hot water to the pan to maintain heat. I've never gone longer than four hours, so no need for extra heat. They are great for family reunions, where stuff is coming off at various times.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 am

I have kept them 4-5 hours and still too hot to touch. I have been told heat up a brick wrapped in foil and pre heat the cambro with that. It will easily hold 12-15 hours. I have not tried it yet but plan to soon.
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Thu May 29, 2014 8:26 am

cokeguy101 wrote:I have kept them 4-5 hours and still too hot to touch. I have been told heat up a brick wrapped in foil and pre heat the cambro with that. It will easily hold 12-15 hours. I have not tried it yet but plan to soon.

It works! :tup:

I use ceramic fire bricks now, but I used to use a landscape stone wrapped in foil (rotated two of them), especially when I needed to keep things warm for a couple of days as we cycled food in and out of it when I've catered multi-day events like NASCAR at TMS.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Buy the 300 series and don't skimp on the pans, buy the heavy duty ones. We have 2 full pans for our needs. While others will work, even a cheap cooler and a towel will work, the cambros are stackable and will hold meat for up to 8 hrs if you preheat it. In comp situations you have to be careful because they will continue cooking your food. Made that mistake more than once. Have adjusted since sine then and still getting walks. It works phenomenal for family events also if you ever need to transport meat
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”