Competition Chicken Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

buzz USER_AVATAR
buzz
Throw Down MVP

Re: Competition Chicken Roundtable...

Postby buzz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Brandon87 wrote:And for the sauce vs no sauce discussion... I noticed when judging that over half the judges would take their piece from the breast without any skin at all. I don't think sauce plays as huge a factor as most cooks think. A moist and tender breast with just the right amount of seasoning from the brine / injection will win competitions IMO.

And while I believe this, I still use turkey lacers to pin the skin, wrap the ends of the legs and wing tips with foil, etc. I know it probably doesn't matter but I just can't help myself...

I will go with that. :upside:
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Some have already answered these questions, but for thread purposes, I'll post it...
Brine or inject? What temp are you cooking your birds at? Smoking or grilling? I brine, but have been playing around with injections. Brining has worked great for me as far as getting flavor to the bone on chicken, but I suffer with the moisture in the breast. I have stayed away from injecting because brining is so dang easy, open the ziplock, pour in the brine, shake it around then back in the cooler...don't get any easier.
I smoke my birds at 275 or so.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 pm

bruno994 wrote:Some have already answered these questions, but for thread purposes, I'll post it...
Brine or inject? What temp are you cooking your birds at? Smoking or grilling? I brine, but have been playing around with injections. Brining has worked great for me as far as getting flavor to the bone on chicken, but I suffer with the moisture in the breast. I have stayed away from injecting because brining is so dang easy, open the ziplock, pour in the brine, shake it around then back in the cooler...don't get any easier.
I smoke my birds at 275 or so.

I brine my chicken and the juice just rolls out when cutting into it! I never probe the breast and pull it off when it hits 165 between the leg and thigh. You poke the breast and lose the $$$ juice!! :shock: :laughing7:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
Mr. Orange
Wrangler

Postby Mr. Orange » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am

Any questions thoughts, tips on setting up your turn in box for the Houston Livestock Show/Rodeo cook-off?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 pm

I brine as well... usually cook chicken on the egg @ 325 using apple chunks for smoke. If by chance I only take one pit to cook everything it's @ 275.
I can second the comment that it is full of juice when it's done. So much so I've learned to make it a habit to carry a napkin with me to turn in cause it's inevitable I'll be asked to soak out juices that are in the box that have ran out. Guess if I'm going to have a problem thats one I'll take.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
brandon87 USER_AVATAR
Brandon87
Wrangler

Postby Brandon87 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 pm

As for the juice... Yes, we brine. And, yes, our chickens are squirters.
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am

Soak in brine over night, pat dry, air dry for additional hour, rub with your fav rub (no sugar) including rubbing under skin. I make a lil hole on the breast and the thigh thus creating a pocket to hold the rub. Put on pit at 350* for 1:15 pull and rest for 30 min, then throw on a castiron skillet or pizza stone that has been heated to 400-450* skin down for 5 min then flip for an additional 5. Btw, I use as close to a 5lb bird as I can get.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Npayne1, Great call on your 2nd place chicken in Helotes! .. sounds like we better listen closely :wink:
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 pm

What are you glazing or saucing your birds with? I have been using Craig Sharrys' new sauce, but have been playing with a few other concoctions during the winter for grins and giggles. Craigs' sauce needs no thinning down, but the typical off the shelf variety needs some thinning with melted butter and / or apple juice to avoid clumping and get a nice smooth finish, of course as has been mentioned numerous times, appearance means little in Texas BBQ, but I still want my food to not only taste amazing but look amazing as well. When heating your sauce, don't let it start bubbling, keep a wisk on it or just keep your sauce pot in your pit or warmer to keep it just right without boiling for glazing.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:04 pm

I glaze mine with my own personal mix... 2 commerical sauces, butter and brown sugar or honey.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

We brine inject, then marinate in a homemade concoction with BBQ rub and ..... :dont: and cook birds with big ol Pamela Anderson breastisiz between 4.9-5 lbs. In IBCA we glaze lightly with a commercial BBQ sauce that's hard to find and we thin it down with some organic pineapple juice. In CTBA and local cookoffs we go with a semi sweet savory spritz.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
cannonball express USER_AVATAR
Cannonball Express
Rustler

Postby Cannonball Express » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 am

Is it just the higher cooking temps that get those beautiful colors on those chickens, or is there a secret? like butter or olive oil?!?!
Tyler "TC" Cannon
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:54 am

I make a liquid paste with my rub and olive oil, about 50:50. And we cook at 350. I'm a firm believer in high cook temps for juiciness, especially for chicken . Think about it, the less time it sits in the pit, dripping out all of those wonderful juices, the juicer it will be
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
cannonball express USER_AVATAR
Cannonball Express
Rustler

Postby Cannonball Express » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 am

JMoney7269 wrote:I make a liquid paste with my rub and olive oil, about 50:50. And we cook at 350. I'm a firm believer in high cook temps for juiciness, especially for chicken . Think about it, the less time it sits in the pit, dripping out all of those wonderful juices, the juicer it will be

Gotcha!!! :salut:
Tyler "TC" Cannon
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am

Darn pretty birds for sure there J$.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”