Competition Brisket Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Re: Competition Brisket Roundtable...

Postby Speed » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Thought I would Bring this thread back to life....I haven't been around for a while and I'm way out of practice but here is my input....
CAB Choice packer 8.5-11.5lbs I cut it down to just the flat and trim the edges to fit the box prior to cooking
I make my own injection
Suckle Busters Comp with added Koser salt and black pepper for the rub
Fat side down @300
Wrap in pan with beef broth @3 hour mark
5-6 hr total time with an internal of 205-215 or until the temp probe slides in like butter
Rest in cambro for three hours, out and slice at start of turn in window
I use a 50/50 blend of Post Oak and Mesquite on brisket but will change depending on the region I cook in.

This is an old pic I have from a few years back. I used to leave a temp probe in the brsket through out the cook. You can see the hole it left in the finished product in the pic.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:28 am

We need to bring this thread back. Has anyone changed their methods? Personally I still cook the same, and it works for me. Have changed my rubs around and now lean towards a more peppery taste with a touch of sweet.
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 pm

My brisket hasn't hit in a while... but in sticking to everything, may work on flavor profile, but that's it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2
gq_suave
Pilgrim

Postby gq_suave » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a Wagyu brisket in the Austin area?

Thanks
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:25 pm

NPayne1 wrote:We need to bring this thread back. Has anyone changed their methods? Personally I still cook the same, and it works for me. Have changed my rubs around and now lean towards a more peppery taste with a touch of sweet.

Funny I responded above this and yup, it's still the same. .hit 3rd,2nd then finally 1st this weekend doing the same thing I have been doing all year.

gq_suave wrote:Anyone know where I can buy a Wagyu brisket in the Austin area? Thanks

Bolners in San Antonio delivers to your door, they have Akaushi..Tons of fat on those bad boys.

gq_suave
Pilgrim

Postby gq_suave » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks garzanium!
Texan79423
Wrangler

Postby Texan79423 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:44 am

Need some input please. If you cook hot and fast does it take longer to cool down I heard that some store HF brisket for 5-6 hours before cutting. Also, How many (if any) drip their sliced brisket back in the natural juices from the foil when boxing to turn in. Does dipping help at all?
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't need any brisket juice after slicing to be honest, seems moist enough to me, plus I usually don't have much juice sitting at the bottom of my wrapped brisket either.
I cook H &f, only rest from 1-3hrs, but yes, the longer the rest the better, but I don't usually do over 4 hrs for comps.

The key is for it to probe through like butter before resting.
outlawninja USER_AVATAR
OutlawNinja
Wrangler

Postby OutlawNinja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

in the mckinney area I buy all my meat at Winco, Choice brisket, pre-cut st. louis style ribs, and decent prices on chicken
Outlaw Ninja BBQ
#outlawninjabbq (instagram) NinjaChef1
http://www.facebook.com/OutlawNinjaBBQ
bigdaddychilds USER_AVATAR
bigdaddychilds
Pilgrim

Postby bigdaddychilds » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 am

Great thread guys! I am doing 1st my cook off this weekend in Benbrook so this has been real fun to read with GREAT tips!

One question that has recently come into my brain is wrap in foil or butcher paper? I have always done foil then saw that Franklin guy do butcher paper and thought...hhhmmmm?

Thanks!

BDC is TCB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Here is a question for the revere flow guys, do you have any issues getting a good smoke ring? I had an opportunity to cook on one this past weekend and was surprised that two briskets had very little ring where normally my briskets have a very nice and distinct ring. Will say this too though, i was very impressed with the way it cooked on very little fuel and maintained nice even temps all day.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
alwayssmokey USER_AVATAR
AlwaysSmokey
Pilgrim

Postby AlwaysSmokey » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 pm

bigdaddychilds wrote:Great thread guys! I am doing 1st my cook off this weekend in Benbrook so this has been real fun to read with GREAT tips!

One question that has recently come into my brain is wrap in foil or butcher paper? I have always done foil then saw that Franklin guy do butcher paper and thought...hhhmmmm?

Thanks!

BDC is TCB

Always butcher paper. There is just as much juice in butcher paper,.. but it breaths so your meat doesn't taste like a roast. I got a 1000' roll 2' wide hanging next to the beer fridge. :cheers: All Q gets the paper. The foil stays in the kitchen with momma. :P Try it out if you get a hankering,.. it's all I do now.
Life is too short for bad food
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

AlwaysSmokey wrote:There is just as much juice in butcher paper

Unless you're using butcher paper with sizing ( which isn't reccomended) there is no way it will hold as much liquid as foil.
I am not dissing butcher paper but the reason some folks have gone to the paper is so the bark tightens up because of less juices and steaming that occurs with foil.
Personally I pan my briskets and like the juices that butcher paper cannot give me, but to each his own :D.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Same as KAM, gotta have plenty of juice for a good soak!! :D
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:25 am

RWBTEX, I have cooked on my reverse flow smoker for more than 3 years now and get a good solid 1/4" smoke ring on my briskets, now if you're looking for that real smoky BBQ flavor, mine does not do that, I think mainly because of where I positioned my exhaust at the upper right hand portion of my tank instead of at grate level...but more importantly, at 250 (center of the lower grate about 5 inches above the RF plate), most briskets are butter tender in 7 to 8 hours max. The benefits of having the RF plate always producing the radiant heat really cuts down on my cook times with the larger cuts....
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”