Humble myself here...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Re: Humble myself here...

Postby bruno994 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:31 am

sparetimetoys wrote:
Big Ed wrote:Only a Lazy slob would not wear gloves while handling meat others will eat!!! :puke:

Guess you have not been in many mom and pop joints. Actually many big fancy places would be empty if folks actually knew what goes on in the kitchen.

You are correct, I don't want to know the behind the scenes restaurant things, that is why I choose to eat out less, I know my hands have been washed. As far as gloves, I believe the rule states..."2. SANITATION- Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary a manner possible." It does not mention that you have to wear gloves, but for every IBCA event I have cooked, it is strongly suggested, needless to say required. For the most part, our head judges usually have a box on hand for those teams without. I keep a box in my equipment box. Trust me, no one wants to sample your brisket that you sliced right after you got through scratching your brains (or nuts for some)!
As far as the OP's brisket, did you stay after and sample the winning brisket? If you did not, please do so at your next contest, this will open your eyes almost as much if not more than judging.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Who would have thought a pic and some advise could turn into all this Brotherly love? :deadhorse: :texas:
Ole Hickory EL revolving racks 45 sq ft.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:06 pm

As close to a P'n match as I've ever seen on this board.

I had an Old girlfriend that wore gloves :wink:
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 am

Big Ed wrote:Only a Lazy slob would not wear gloves while handling meat others will eat!!! :puke:

Please explain your conclusion on this?
Also could be argued that those that come to this type of conclusion are just uptight neat freaks with Control issues and don't know proper santation techniques, don't know what cross contamination is and how to prevent it, etc etc. No pissing match goin on here, just some misinformed people. Just because some choose not to play monkey see monkey do doesn't Make them or their techniques unsafe. Im all for gloves especially for the cookers that DONT know what their doing. I have seen it all. I'm also all for seat belts but totally against seatbelt laws. Same scenario.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am

Well as previously stated, the rules require sanitary practices be maintained by the teams. IMHO gloves alone are just about worthless. You should always wash your hands with soap & hot water. Dry hands and put on gloves for real sanitary practices. Soap kills the germs. If you have dirty hands and pick up the gloves to put on you have already contaminated that glove!

The gloves keep things sanitary while you are doin the single function whatever it may be. If you are slicing and touch another surface then go back to slicing, you should change gloves before slicing again! I have seen folks wearing gloves and they touch this and that, pick up this and that and then go right to slicing! Might as well of not put the gloves on.

Also, no need for gloves in preparation of raw food unless the meat or vegetables is to be eaten raw. Just wash hands with soap and hot water. Cookin process will kill any critters at 137 degress. Cook at least to 140 degrees OUTSIDE temp and critters are dead. Not for ground meat. Needs 140 degrees internal to be safe.

We wash hands a lot and use gloves too. but change em whenever we change tasks. be wary of cross contamination as it is very easy to do. Gloves or no gloves!
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 am

^^^^^Agreed...well put as a matter of fact.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:21 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:

Please explain your conclusion on this?
Also could be argued that those that come to this type of conclusion are just uptight neat freaks with Control issues and don't know proper santation techniques, don't know what cross contamination is and how to prevent it, etc etc. No pissing match goin on here, just some misinformed people. Just because some choose not to play monkey see monkey do doesn't Make them or their techniques unsafe. Im all for gloves especially for the cookers that DONT know what their doing. I have seen it all. I'm also all for seat belts but totally against seatbelt laws. Same scenario.

Not uptight over here, finger nails carry a lot of bad juju!! If you don't wear gloves that's your choice but I wont be eating none of your stuff and feel sorry for the judges that do!!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, well... Oh well lol
You gotta have some exposure to bacteria for your body to be balanced. No bacteria, you'd be dead
Lol my grandpa and uncle would be laughing the heines off at them gloves. Guess you really want none of our brisket because we all including my BBQ buddy Jason leave the brisket in a stainless pan once trimmed and seasoned around 11pm till 6am when it goes on. Just a 65 degree room.
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 am

It looks undercooked from here. Drape a slice across your finger and the ends should almost touch if it is "cooked".
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Best Post Ever! You filthy and yo Brisket is undercooked! LMAO!!! I thought I was all cool posing with my Box and my buddy’s fat hand cutting the meat. But hey! LOL. If you’re not getting the humor behind this post then you’re reading it wrong. If you’re laughing out loud at my luck then I succeeded. I’m going home to cook. With gloves. And McDonald sign looking Brisket. Thank God it’s my Firday. :whiteflag: :texas: LMAO! :out:

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Good luck Pit Pig! May your hands be clean and your briskets tender!
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Its funny I still look back at this post and LMAO! Its inspiring really. Goes to really show that you cannot please everyone. Ive worn gloves at every event from that point on. However it really wasnt my hands in the pic. LOL! :texas:

-Sam Houston
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:16 pm

I know I get a huge laugh out of the put gloves on to save the world thing. I go to the whattaburger just down the street from my house here in Plano and look at the folks behind the counter. Some have gloves some don't. Watched the guy flipping burgers pick his seat and keeps on flipping but hey he had gloves on so it must be safe right. The kid cooking fries has no gloves and scratches his nose but washes his hands before he fries up any more so he must be the nasty one. I don't get food there just malts it's hard to find a place that makes a malted milkshake anymore.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm

^^^ :happ:
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Wow ... I missed this fiasco. Must have been when I was away for about a month or so.
Made for an entertaining read, I must say. I'd weigh in on my .02 about the gloves, but I'll refrain in an effort to keep orderly peace here.

PitPig- Glad to see you to took it with a grain of salt. Have you faired any better in brisket since the post??
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”