Went to my first cook off...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

PigsNCows Gone Wild
Pilgrim

Went to my first cook off...

Postby PigsNCows Gone Wild » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:51 pm

I have always wanted to start doing competition BBQing. I was invited to go to the Steve Mayberry Cook Off from a board member here named Tom. He did not get his new smoker ready for the cook off and encouraged me to go anyway and ask to be a judge. So my wife and I went and had a blast. We each got to judge chicken, ribs and brisket. I was on a final table with the ribs. It was a great experience and I got a chance to see just what the turn boxes need to look like and at the same time compare what I have been cooking to some of the best cooks in the area. Some really nice folks took the time to encourage me to just get into it and have some fun. Robert from Beach Bum BBQ was really nice and gave me a few pointers on what I need to prepare for. There were a few others, but I just can't remember their names. So many nice people there.

I got back on Sunday and ordered my new custom Cadillac Cooker Monday. I have always wanted a rotisserie and we are doing some really neat things to make it a great competition smoker. We are insulating the firebox, and we are dividing the pit in half so I can use it to cook at 2 different temps. Hopefully I will have it by early November and get a chance to go to a few cook offs later this year. If not then I will surely see some of you next year. I'm from Shreveport, LA. and see that there are 2 cook offs here early next year.

So much good information here on this board. Sure will help me in getting ready for what looks to be a lot of fun. I'm sure I will have a few questions down the road. Just wanted to introduce my self to everyone.

Take care my friend,
Mike
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Re: Went to my first cook off...

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm

That's the Best thing you could have done was judge first then comp cook. We didn't start wnning until we started judging. I'm surprised y'all could judge all 3 categories without exploding. Must of been a couple tables of judges
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:That's the Best thing you could have done was judge first then comp cook. We didn't start wnning until we started judging. I'm surprised y'all could judge all 3 categories without exploding. Must of been a couple tables of judges
+

I agree, judging really helps. It's been a year since I've done it.. need to do it again.. but I rather cook 8)
1st time I ever judged I judged all 3 categories.. plus beans... NEVER again.. way too much food/smoke etc.. :oops:
PigsNCows Gone Wild
Pilgrim

Postby PigsNCows Gone Wild » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I was only suppose to judge 2 tables. Was standing around when brisket came in to judge and they were a few judges short. Asked me if I wanted to judge brisket? Now why would I turn down tasting some brisket. Going to Round Rock this weekend. Looks like a great event to go to.

Mike
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 pm

js-tx wrote:
JMoney7269 wrote:That's the Best thing you could have done was judge first then comp cook. We didn't start wnning until we started judging. I'm surprised y'all could judge all 3 categories without exploding. Must of been a couple tables of judges
+

I agree, judging really helps. It's been a year since I've done it.. need to do it again.. but I rather cook 8)
1st time I ever judged I judged all 3 categories.. plus beans... NEVER again.. way too much food/smoke etc.. :oops:

OMG I BET YOU WERE A VILE MAN!
I did 3 categories once 22 plates a category, never again!
Honestly of all the categories I hate judging brisket the most in Texas because so so so many people think more smoke is better. They are the ones watching me collect my trophies and money
My favorite category to judge is chicken. I once judged a comp in Lagrange and gave out nine or ten 10's of the 20 I judged.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”