Cook off chili

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Cook off chili

Postby Scott P » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 am

I am thinking about entering a new contest in six weeks. It is under TGCBCA and features brisket, ribs, chicken and chili. I have never done chili for a cook off. I'm a relative newbie to chili as well and have made it several different ways. What do judges generally look for in chili? Ground meat? Meat chunks? Spicy? I know it is a small sample spoon, so you need to pack a ton of flavor in that bite. Would chili with chunks of beef even work?

Just getting some rough ideas so I know what to experiment with.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
jtilk
Outlaw

Re: Cook off chili

Postby jtilk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Look in the chili section on here. Im fairly sure this question and several like it have been asked before as even myself asked what they look for. As for meat type, it's usually 100% ground beef.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:28 am

I am perfecting a chili that I have incorporated a lot of bludawgs chili basics. Fresh and dehydrated Chilis etc. at the moment I have placed top 10 every chili comp I have ever cooked but never better than 4th with Tim dozier chili recipe exact. It's dang fine chili just missin something. I never was a good chili cook anyways, good thing it's not part of the overall
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 am

Half the comps I've done with chili have been open and the other sanctioned.
Open you can use what ever you want. The sanctioned ones use #2 grind beef.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”