Comp cooking

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bockbock
Cowboy

Comp cooking

Postby Bockbock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:19 am

Hey all, for all of you that do comp cooking, is a Lang 48" big enough or should I get a 60"? Thanks.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Re: Comp cooking

Postby bruno994 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 am

I would think a 48" would get the job done, but no matter what size you go with, we always end up wanting more cook space. My lower grate in my pit is 22" x 48" and I can comfortably cook my 3 racks of St. Louis spares and 2 whole packer briskets on it. I usually cook my chicken halves in pans on the top grate or on a separate drum smoker, so they don't interfere with my lower grate at all.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

IMO 48" is enough for comps ... That being said you may want to consider the 60" based on how much entertaining you do or if you want to increase the # of chickens or racks of ribs you have to choose from. It varies with what your budget dictates.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Get the sixty. I always end up putting more than just comp meat on the pit at a comp...plus when you get real good lots of people will want you to cook and you'll need the space. :wink:
"Sic 'em Bears"

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”