LSBS...IBCA...CTBA

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

LSBS...IBCA...CTBA

Postby Pflugerbill » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 am

So there are a lot of sanctioning bodies and a lot of cookoff's tied to those. Which one is better than the other? How do you decide which to go with? I've heard good, mostly bad, about LSBS but they sure do sanction a lot of events.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: LSBS...IBCA...CTBA

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 am

Folks - I will not tolerate bashing of sanctioning bodies on the board - please keep your comments factual.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
SWI
Pilgrim

Postby SWI » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:42 pm

I've cooked in a lot of the LSBS and haven't ever had any problems. I've also cooked in the CTBA and IBCA only difference is in CTBA you have to cut everything into 25 pieces. In the others you get to turn in full slabs, half chicken and slices of brisket.
ZACH PITTS
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 pm

I have only cooked IBCA, TGCBCA and Go Texan so far, but if your just getting into Comp Q, don't limit yourself to one body, try them all. IBCA runs over 200 events yearly, so chances are there will always be one somewhat close to you just about every weekend.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
RealTexasQ
Pilgrim

Postby RealTexasQ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:19 pm

CTBA is the only sanctioning body in my knowledge that lets a judge pick up a rib and handle it. All the other ones, the judging is done with a plastic fork and knife, which in my opinion won't show true tenderness/pull on a rib. I've never heard of CTBA asking for 25 bite sized pieces. You can also cook boneless breast, thighs, or whatever part of the chicken you want and turn in. I've heard of some teams doing chicken wings.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:53 pm

RealTexasQ wrote:CTBA is the only sanctioning body in my knowledge that lets a judge pick up a rib and handle it. All the other ones, the judging is done with a plastic fork and knife, which in my opinion won't show true tenderness/pull on a rib. I've never heard of CTBA asking for 25 bite sized pieces. You can also cook boneless breast, thighs, or whatever part of the chicken you want and turn in. I've heard of some teams doing chicken wings.

I've done a handful and it's always been 25 pieces...Even on ribs
"Sic 'em Bears"
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 pm

The comps that pay the most! :P
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:27 pm

All are good, CTBA has some different rules but it also is a regional association with less cookoffs options per weekend. We liked cooking it because it gave you more options on chicken. Only problem was cutting ribs for 20 samples but no biggie once you got used to it.
IBCA and LSBS are also great associations and are more spread out across the state with more cookoff options per weekend.
I have not cooked the others but they are just as worthy ,by word of mouth.
We tried to go to cookoffs that were close to the house,that took care of the cooks, and benefited a good cause.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

I have cooked in all these associations. IBCA is the best IMHO. Our criteria is gotta be within 1.5 hour drive preferably. 2.5 hour max of Allen, TX. Diesel ain't cheap!
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 am

I try to do any of them that are near my area. CTBA is my least favorite sanction but surprisingly we do the best in it. I'm not too FOND of the bite sized pieces setup, But we started in unsanctioned cook offs and they do the same format. Even though I prefer the easy turn ins of 1/2 chicken, 7ribs, 7slices, we are darn good at the bite sized pieces deal. We won the Chappell hill rib shoot out 2 years in a row which last year had 108 and this year had 121 entries. My most favorite is IBCA because IMO there are better cookers so I get a chance to cook against the best. Usually in IBCA we make top 10 everything but dot have any 1st yet this year. IBCA is the only sanction cookoff we don't have any grand champions in and we ain't gonna give up. I like the lonestars also. Harvey Gebhard is a stand up guy and from what I hear a heck of a competition chicken cooker. I haven't heard anything bad about any sanction cook offs which we actually prefer. Usually what you do hear that is bad is from the mouth of a sore looser. JMHO classic example. We are doing the king of coals Cookoff in Brenham, non sanctioned, and we literally swept the whole thing last year.
38 teams
1st pintos
1st Cajun
2nd chefs choice
2nd brisket
3rd ribs
6th chicken
Well teams complained about our BBQ guru setups and now they made a rule specifically for us! No draft/fan systems allowed. What a crock of shoot! What's to keep a guy from opening up his offset and turning his fan towards his firebox to get his heat up? That's the type of crap you have to deal with in unsanctioned cookoffs. Whiney babys that are sore loosers, who would rather cook in places where they make biased decisions in the name of fairness to reward mediocracy and punish the innovative who strive to be the best. These types of situations severely chap my keester! Rant over
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
garzanium
Rustler

Re: Re: LSBS...IBCA...CTBA

Postby garzanium » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:I
Well teams complained about our BBQ guru setups and now they made a rule specifically for us! No draft/fan systems allowed. What a crock of shoot! What's to keep a guy from opening up his offset and turning his fan towards his firebox to get his heat up? That's the type of crap you have to deal with in unsanctioned cookoffs. Whiney babys that are sore loosers, who would rather cook in places where they make biased decisions in the name of fairness to reward mediocracy and punish the innovative who strive to be the best. These types of situations severely chap my keester! Rant over

thats nuts..smh

Sent from my GT-P7510

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”