Cookoff Brisket......

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Cookoff Brisket......

Postby Big Ed » Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm

I leave a little too, around 1/8th inch!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
brandon87 USER_AVATAR
Brandon87
Wrangler

Postby Brandon87 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I leave a 1/4" fat.

I started having more luck with brisket when I toned the flavor down a bit to a more neutral profile. I was heavy on the salt and pepper, which I really like but my wife suggested that it might have been too salty for the average person. Since I cut down on the salt and pepper and added a little more sweet and heat, I have had much better luck. I know people say salty does well in Texas, but it never really did for me.
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am

I've come to realize people don't want a real heavy smoke on their brisket..... I know ALOT of cookers wrapping their briskets after the 3hr mark....... I personally cant stand that, it makes the brisket taste like a darn roast......
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 am

Southern Pride BBQ wrote:I've come to realize people don't want a real heavy smoke on their brisket..... I know ALOT of cookers wrapping their briskets after the 3hr mark....... I personally cant stand that, it makes the brisket taste like a darn roast......

Roast Beef is what wins.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm

I love heavy smoke! I'm always disappointed in the comp briskets, other than the one Limey cooked at the stock yards comp a few months back. It was fantastic and the other judges didn'teven put him on the final table. I threw my hands up in discust with them. I guess I'm the odd ball at the judges table.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Trust me Roast beef wins big money.....I wrap at the 2 hr mark every week.....we are not there to cook for our personal tastes......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:41 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Trust me Roast beef wins big money.....I wrap at the 2 hr mark every week.....we are not there to cook for our personal tastes......

Is this a ploy to get some of us to take your class??? lol...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 am

jtilk wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Trust me Roast beef wins big money.....I wrap at the 2 hr mark every week.....we are not there to cook for our personal tastes......

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff be workin it. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 am

k.a.m. wrote:
jtilk wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff be workin it. :lol:

@Josh....very possible.... :laughing7: :laughing7:
@ KAM.... :lol: Absolutely.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 am

A man is to do what a mans gotta do to win a cookoff, but this smokin a brisket for 2-3 hrs is ridiculous.....
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 am

Southern Pride BBQ wrote:I've come to realize people don't want a real heavy smoke on their brisket..... I know ALOT of cookers wrapping their briskets after the 3hr mark....... I personally cant stand that, it makes the brisket taste like a darn roast......

I hope you don't take this to the offensive and perceive this as helpful.
What does this picture look like to you? ^^^
It looks like you got some blotching from injection which looks really unappealing in the box but heck canterburys brisket slices are darker than that and he does well. I think bark is over rated but your slices do look a little dry and don't appear to have any crust on them. Have you ever turned in the famous "franklin cut"? You would be surprised how much better if not win if it's fork tender and in the box. If you pretrim the brisket, slice on the right bias, you can get both, paint on some strained aujus thinned with some mixed commercial injection and you got it. Also a good savory rub ground fine and sprinkled on the tops of each slice for some umph. Good luck man
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
fatbackjones
Pilgrim

Postby fatbackjones » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:17 pm

JMoney7269 wrote:

It looks like you got some blotching from injection which looks really unappealing in the box but heck canterburys brisket slices are darker than that and he does well. I think bark is over rated but your slices do look a little dry and don't appear to have any crust on them. Have you ever turned in the famous "franklin cut"? You would be surprised how much better if not win if it's fork tender and in the box. If you pretrim the brisket, slice on the right bias, you can get both, paint on some strained aujus thinned with some mixed commercial injection and you got it. Also a good savory rub ground fine and sprinkled on the tops of each slice for some

▲▲▲▲
What exactly is a Franklin cut?
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Besides fork tender, what's the "Franklin" cut?

I like butcher paper, but I will start wrapping with foil to capture some Au jus... for comps that is. I got burned in my last comp, I wrapped w/BP about 4 hours in and that !*^# brisket didn't get tender till about an hour before turn in. It took 12 hours, but it tightened up on me though. And this is cooking at 275*! Never ever had one take that long before. The other day I cooked one @300* wrapped in foil at the 4 hour mark.. it was ready 2 hours later!
Yohanan
Pilgrim

Postby Yohanan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Ill eat what the judges dont want!....

Just call and ill meet you off highway 6 to take that nasty thing of your hands
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:40 am

fatbackjones wrote:
JMoney7269 wrote:

It looks like you got some blotching from injection which looks really unappealing in the box but heck canterburys brisket slices are darker than that and he does well. I think bark is over rated but your slices do look a little dry and don't appear to have any crust on them. Have you ever turned in the famous "franklin cut"? You would be surprised how much better if not win if it's fork tender and in the box. If you pretrim the brisket, slice on the right bias, you can get both, paint on some strained aujus thinned with some mixed commercial injection and you got it. Also a good savory rub ground fine and sprinkled on the tops of each slice for some

▲▲▲▲
What exactly is a Franklin cut?

9:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU&sns=em
Juicy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nWrOMySBU&sns=em
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”