What are yall guys doing to chicken......

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

paulwhita USER_AVATAR
PaulWhita
Pilgrim

Re: What are yall guys doing to chicken......

Postby PaulWhita » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 pm

And who the eff is Harvey..?!

Harvey Gebhard - COB LSBS
22" WSM
26" Kettle
PK Grill
Grill Grates
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 am

Did a trial run this past weekend with some of copycat Q Chicken soak against my brine. Cooked both chickens, halved in pans with butter at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Both were very moist, but mine had it won on the flavor side. I may make another run with some additional seasonings added to copycat to see how the yardbird reacts to that. I guess I was expecting more from copycat than I got, my simple salt / sugar brine did as much as his blend for the moisture retention.
Is anyone out there intentionally holding their chicken after it's done prior to turn ins? I typically have it timed out to go from the pit to the turn in box in a matter of minutes. Just curious...
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 am

bruno994 wrote:Did a trial run this past weekend with some of copycat Q Chicken soak against my brine. Cooked both chickens, halved in pans with butter at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Both were very moist, but mine had it won on the flavor side. I may make another run with some additional seasonings added to copycat to see how the yardbird reacts to that. I guess I was expecting more from copycat than I got, my simple salt / sugar brine did as much as his blend for the moisture retention.
Is anyone out there intentionally holding their chicken after it's done prior to turn ins? I typically have it timed out to go from the pit to the turn in box in a matter of minutes. Just curious...

Can I get some clarification on your technique? Do you put the chicken halves in a foil pan with melted butter and cook them the whole time that way? Do you have a color change between the portion that was covered in butter and the part exposed to heat and smoke?
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 pm

I only put enough butter in the pans to cover the bottom of the pan, not enough to creep up the sides of the chicken halves. After about 1 hour into the cook process, I'll use my silicon brush to dip into the butter and baste the birds to keep the skin on the chicken nice and moist. The skin does turn a nice golden brown as it gets exposed to the heat and smoke during the cook. When I get ready to sauce or glaze the halves, I will pull them from the pans and place them directly on the cooking grate to set the sauce.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm

bruno994 wrote:Did a trial run this past weekend with some of copycat Q Chicken soak against my brine. Cooked both chickens, halved in pans with butter at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Both were very moist, but mine had it won on the flavor side. I may make another run with some additional seasonings added to copycat to see how the yardbird reacts to that. I guess I was expecting more from copycat than I got, my simple salt / sugar brine did as much as his blend for the moisture retention.

I do mine the same way, from the pit to the turn in box.
Another trick I've done that I really like when I don't sauce, is to spray the skin with spray butter.
I've only walked when I sauce though......

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”