Rib flavor profile

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JBROOKS3
Pilgrim

Rib flavor profile

Postby JBROOKS3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 am

Im doing a comp this weekend and Im kinda lost on my ribs; do the LSBS judges go for sweet, or bold flavor. Im using copycat killer bee with suckle busters honey glaze. :dont:
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Rib flavor profile

Postby js-tx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

I think that really depends on where about in TX you are cooking. I have an unproven theory, that the larger the comp, the sweeter they like em. Mostly cause they need lots of judges and I think the general public likes sweet. I could be way off here and I hope somebody will comment on that. If you can't narrow it down, I would go with a well balanced rib, semi sweet and a little kick, either way you need layers of flavor IMO. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
JBROOKS3
Pilgrim

Postby JBROOKS3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am

Im cooking in Hutto Tx. I have heard different people say the smaller the town the less sweet you go.
Is anybody going at there this weekend?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Sounds like you're off to a good base with Kosmo's and SB's ... But as was mentioned earlier, layering flavors is key. You want to hit every taste bud in the mouth from a lil saltiness, to alot of sweetness with a little bite. You have to think you'll most likely be competing against 30+ teams and you have to stand out. They arent eating an entire meal of your food, nor an entire rib for that matter, it's one bite and one chance at an impression. Best of luck...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 pm

how did you do in hutto? I was out of town,so couldnt attend personally, but we went to fredricksburg the following week. sw9ine01 is the teams name.

Sent from my GT-P7510

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”