Smoked Salts

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Smoked Salts

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried smoked salts in your comp recipes? I know these are a little costly buying out right, but I've contemplated smoking some myself and trying it. Just curious...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Smoked Salts

Postby Rambo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm

I have used the mcCormick Smoked Black pepper for cooking in the oven but never salt.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Josh, I had some Hickory smoked salt and bacon smoked salt they were both a terrible waste of money.....trust me..... :banghead: :oops:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Josh, I had some Hickory smoked salt and bacon smoked salt they were both a terrible waste of money.....trust me..... :banghead: :oops:

Couldn't tell the difference? Just not worth the price or what?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 pm

jtilk wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Josh, I had some Hickory smoked salt and bacon smoked salt they were both a terrible waste of money.....trust me..... :banghead: :oops:

Too expensive....for such a small amount of salt....and the hickory was sooo strong....it was almost impossible to use .....good luck brutha.. :happ:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Bonkers789
Pilgrim

Smoked Salts

Postby Bonkers789 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Yep agree with redneck on this but one thing I have I like the hickory in is a dash in some redneck bloody Mary's
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
jtilk wrote:

Too expensive....for such a small amount of salt....and the hickory was sooo strong....it was almost impossible to use .....good luck brutha.. :happ:

Just wondering because I was actually considering smoking some of my own... however I was looking at smoking it with mesquite, so if the hickory was too strong I can only wonder about the mesquite. hmmm...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

fatbackjones
Pilgrim

Postby fatbackjones » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I smoked some salt a few years back and really liked it. Used pecan. I used it primarily on burgers or things cooked indoors when I wanted to add a little smoke flavoring. Was really easy to make, put down a sheet of foil on the smoker rack and poured and spread the salt down over it. It will actually turn a goldish color after a little while. I kept stirring the salt around to get as much exposed to the smoke as possible. It's a really cheap experiment and I've been meaning to do it again with different woods. Good luck.
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I smoked up some K Salt, Brown Sugar and White Sugar. Used the AMNTS with Oak.
Use the K Salt for cooking, the Brown Sugar for rubs and the White went into homemade Ice Cream. Best Ice Cream I've ever had.

The White Sugar. (or was white :wink: )

"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”