What to do with the Prize Money???

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HillCountryKid
Wrangler

What to do with the Prize Money???

Postby HillCountryKid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 am

Ok, here is my question. We have a team of five including myself, I normally do the three meats, and everyone else will do jackpots. Now do most teams split the prize money (if you are lucky enough to win any), or whoever wins in that category gets to keep it? I am the head cook; I pay the entry fees, carry my pit to the cook off, and pay for all the meat. I have a couple that does the Margarita and Bloody Mary’s every time and has not won. Told me at the last cook off that they could not come anymore without getting something back? We started doing this for fun. It is nice to win. I have offered to split everything equal, if everyone shares the cost of everything. Just looking to see what other teams do.
Thanks
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: What to do with the Prize Money???

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 am

HillCountryKid, if the couple has not won anything then maybe they need to step up their game. :wink: If they want some of the prize money from the other category's that is up to y'all. I think the fairest solution is everyone share in the cost then all proceeds go into an account as a slush fund for future comps. if that is everyone's passion. If you continue to foot the bill then I think it is only fair that you keep the winnings for future comps. It becomes a tricky companionship when folks do not pitch in monetarily but expect some of the winnings, that is why my Wife and I are the only members on our team. My money is her money and her money is her money. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks k.a.m. I understand, my wife has my money!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

Sounds like time to re-evaluate that friendship.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

Your money, your pit, your meats, if you win, your prize money! If the other team members expect to be getting a lot of $ out of Comp cooking, they are in it for the wrong reason. I am a one man team, with my wife and kids usually coming to help out on Saturday during turn ins, of course I have a number of friends that come and sample and taste test often as well, but like k.a.m stated, much more simple when it's just family or even just yourself. Especially here in Texas or in IBCA comps, with normally and hour or more between turn ins, it's pretty laid back, unlike our KCBS brethren.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 am

k.a.m. wrote:HillCountryKid, if the couple has not won anything then maybe they need to step up their game. :wink: If they want some of the prize money from the other category's that is up to y'all. I think the fairest solution is everyone share in the cost then all proceeds go into an account as a slush fund for future comps. if that is everyone's passion. If you continue to foot the bill then I think it is only fair that you keep the winnings for future comps. It becomes a tricky companionship when folks do not pitch in monetarily but expect some of the winnings, that is why my Wife and I are the only members on our team. My money is her money and her money is her money. :lol:

:banghead: We need to have a talk :P
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

BluDawg wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:HillCountryKid, if the couple has not won anything then maybe they need to step up their game. :wink: If they want some of the prize money from the other category's that is up to y'all. I think the fairest solution is everyone share in the cost then all proceeds go into an account as a slush fund for future comps. if that is everyone's passion. If you continue to foot the bill then I think it is only fair that you keep the winnings for future comps. It becomes a tricky companionship when folks do not pitch in monetarily but expect some of the winnings, that is why my Wife and I are the only members on our team. My money is her money and her money is her money. :lol:

:lol: Dawg you can talk to Debbie I will watch from a far and tell everyone it was almost a fare fight. :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 pm

LMAO! I'll buy two tickets to that "discussion".
BluefireBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby BluefireBBQ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 pm

bruno994 wrote:Your money, your pit, your meats, if you win, your prize money! If the other team members expect to be getting a lot of $ out of Comp cooking, they are in it for the wrong reason.

Just a rookie here but I've been competing in semi-pro stuff (racing, etc) where there are contingency $ or prizes for a good part of my life.
I came to a realization in my 20's that if I was going to make money at my hobbies, they wouldn't be hobbies.
I'd set the expectation one way or the other up front and then let the relationship go from there.

I know guys and gals that get REALLY serious in amatuer competition events - in the racing I do, some of the contingency $ can easily pay for a season or more and some do chase that. I had a co-driver for a while one year and I set the expectation up front that any damages he caused were fixed out of his pocket and any winnings that came as a result of wins he accumulated as a driver were mine - my car, my rules. (I did pay his entry fees, gas to the event and even bought dinner so he was treated fairly IMO - and in the end I only had him fix *some* of the damage he caused).
I just find I get a lot more out of it by not worrying about the money. To the extreme where I have never cashed in any of my the contingency winnings (except the one from Ford Racing...that just had ego written all over it).
Same goes here...if I am lucky (that's all I have going right now...talent is a few years out) to win something it goes to my son. And if he wants, he can pass it on to a charity of his choice (hopefully I've raised him right)
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
BluDawg wrote:

:lol: Dawg you can talk to Debbie I will watch from a far and tell everyone it was almost a fare fight. :lol:
I aint chicken :shakin: well maybe a little :whiteflag:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Thats the main reason Im a one man team .....after having several "team mates"....yrs ago.....I just stopped...I lose its my loss...I win its all mine......the only way to do it....Ive seen to many good friends go by the wayside over this kinda stuff and espesially the money
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:36 pm

3 star redneck wrote:Thats the main reason Im a one man team .....after having several "team mates"....yrs ago.....I just stopped...I lose its my loss...I win its all mine......the only way to do it....Ive seen to many good friends go by the wayside over this kinda stuff and espesially the money

Jeff, if I did not have Debbie I would probably compete alone. Then you and I can can sit by the fire while sipping a drink singing "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know" :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:Thats the main reason Im a one man team .....after having several "team mates"....yrs ago.....I just stopped...I lose its my loss...I win its all mine......the only way to do it....Ive seen to many good friends go by the wayside over this kinda stuff and espesially the money

Jeff, if I did not have Debbie I would probably compete alone. Then you and I can can sit by the fire while sipping a drink singing "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know" :lol:

I totally agree with you!!! :wink:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Funny thing, for those of us where cooking is our art, there is no compromise, just a drive for excellence. I love my wife like crazy, but if she tried to tell me how to cook barbecue we'd be divorced insude of 5 minutes. Yoda and I can cook together because we have the mutual respect of a 31 year friendship, and we are honest enough about who does what best that we get the heck out of each others way. I am better with beef and he is better with ribs and chicken, and we both know it. He don't tell me how to cook mine and I don't tell him how to cook his. Without that kind of understanding, it ain't NEVER going to work and it's best to hash that out Day One, or just part friends.

That old saying about it being better to be happy alone versus miserable in company certainly applies.

The other Golden Rule that He who has the gold makes the rules also applies. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and if you don't have table stakes don't deal yerself in.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks, no what I need to do! :lol:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”