Need help planning a cook

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

six30two
Pilgrim

Postby six30two » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Hey everyone,
This is my first post so my apologies if I'm in the wrong section or something. I cook on a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and I've entered a competition where I will be turning in Brisket, Chicken and Ribs. At some point, I'll have to have all 3 categories on my smoker at the same time- is this okay? Or is this possible? I normally cook my chicken at 275 while my ribs and brisket cook at 225. Am I going to ruin my brisket/ribs if i crank up the heat for a couple hours for my chicken?

Any advice or help is appreciated- especially from fellow WSM'ers!

thanks in advance!

KH
If I had something clever to say as my signature, this is where it would be.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Need help planning a cook

Postby Big Ed » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Alot of guys cook hot n fast so you should be ok,ribs and brisket will be done sooner than usual. I use a UDS which is similar to the WSM but I cook my chicken on a weber 22" kettle because I like my brisket and ribs to cook under 250*
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 am

I have seen people cook everything on a WSM easily! Bluz is a pro at it!!
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 am

You can, you just have to plan it out. I imagine you would finish brisket early and hold it while your ribs and chicken cook - If you don't mind cooking your chicken and ribs at the same temp. with or w/out a water pan etc.. Do a trial run or 2 and see how it goes. If it were me, I'd get a separate cooker just for chicken. Maybe a kettle or an Old Smokey.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:50 pm

That Harry Soo fella, in Cali, cooks all catagories on one WSM.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I would run that rocket a 275 and cook the three meats. Once you cook at 275 you will most likely never cook brisket & ribs at jerky making temps again :texas:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Big Welcome, I use a WSM and also a Weber Gold for chicken or comps.You can cook all on a WSM but you will have to do a lot of juggling depending on your cooking times. Harry Soo uses several WSM for his cooks, He also cooks chicken thighs and pork butts for KCBS comps so he uses several for that reason. It can be done but I would advise a practice run on a weekend cook using your comp times. I would also check out the Virtual Weber Bulletin, lots of good info on cooking on a Weber. http://tvwbb.com/forum.php
Good Luck on the cook, :chef:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 am

limey wrote: Harry Soo uses several WSM for his cooks, He also cooks chicken thighs and pork butts for KCBS comps so he uses several for that reason. :

I was just going off of an interview I read. Here's the link.http://www.grillingwithrich.com/meet-th ... -harry-soo
Go to the part where they ask if he suffers from "pit envy". He says he uses one WSM and one bag of Kingsford.
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

BluDawg wrote:I would run that rocket a 275 and cook the three meats. Once you cook at 275 you will most likely never cook brisket & ribs at jerky making temps again :texas:

:thap:
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:
limey wrote: Harry Soo uses several WSM for his cooks, He also cooks chicken thighs and pork butts for KCBS comps so he uses several for that reason. :

I was just going off of an interview I read. Here's the link.http://www.grillingwithrich.com/meet-th ... -harry-soo
Go to the part where they ask if he suffers from "pit envy". He says he uses one WSM and one bag of Kingsford.

Your info is accurate, but Harry has used 4 and at King of the Smoker used 2. So he's all over the place.

with regards to the OP, you've got some good advice but you need to use the temperature / s your comfortable with. For my first competition, I don't know that I'd try it on one 22.5 WSM. That being said, if you foil and the brisket is wrapped before the other meats hit you can put it on the lower rack.

Certainly don't want to discourage you from diving in but knowing you like to use different temps for each, you will need to plan things out before hand.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
JCanfield
Pilgrim

Postby JCanfield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Just wondering if you are cooking in the C4K cookoff? Glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing on temp.
six30two
Pilgrim

Postby six30two » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm

JCanfield wrote:Just wondering if you are cooking in the C4K cookoff? Glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing on temp.

Yes! I will be there.
six30two
Pilgrim

Postby six30two » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement, advice and links to resources. I did a test run last weekend and everything came out pretty good and I feel a lot more confident now. I guess the biggest drawback to cooking on a single WSM is that you only get one shot at your cook, meaning you can't do 2 briskets, multiple racks of ribs and chickens and pick and choose which ones you turn in. It also means you barely get to eat anything that you cook either. Doesn't mean I still won't win though!

If anyone is cooking at C4K this weekend, stop by and say hey and i guess bring me some food too since I'll have to turn in everything that I cook! :)
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 am

BluDawg wrote:I would run that rocket a 275 and cook the three meats. Once you cook at 275 you will most likely never cook brisket & ribs at jerky making temps again :texas:

Preach it brother!

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Before I started taking my egg to comps I cooked everything at 275 myself and never missed a beat.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”