Newbie Question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Newbie Question

Postby CrownBBQ » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 am

My small town has started doing BBQ cook offs, and a few small towns around us also. I was going to enter one just to see how it all works and to find out if I am as good a cook as my friends who are eating free food and drinking beer say. :D Anyway, I was wondering with the crowd walking around getting sample plates ( and ours has a people choice division) how do you determine just how much meat to bring? I don't want to be the guy that runs out. But I also don't want to spend 500 bucks on meat to try to win 200 dollars. Thx for any help or advice
Never look at life through a windshield to see whats coming......look at life through the rear view mirror and watch it try to catch up.

http://www.crownbbq.com
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Newbie Question

Postby js-tx » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 am

I would think 2 briskets should be plenty, you can always take home the rest. Make sure your friends go out and lend a helping hand.. it was their idea after all! :)
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 am

I think js is spot on couple choice briskets maybe 2 or 3 slabs maybe done differentlyare they sanctioned comps ? like LSBS or KCBS maybe go to bigger comp and sign up to judge I have heard ya learn alot from that most of all have fun
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks for the replys and suggestions. I am pretty sure that the one here is not sanctioned. I also saw in another thread about trying to get in on judging, that sounds like a pretty good start. Thanks
Never look at life through a windshield to see whats coming......look at life through the rear view mirror and watch it try to catch up.

http://www.crownbbq.com

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”