Grassfed Beef

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Re: Grassfed Beef

Postby jtilk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
dub' wrote:Does anybody know if grassfed brisket has EVER won a major competetition?

dub(would be weird..)

7lb trimmed packer = $33.99

OUCH!! I've seen Angus Selects @ Food King for that price.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Instead of beef broth, try beef consomme. Much beefier taste IMHO. If you put it in a fridge the stuff will turn to gelatin. Aint seen a broth yet that will do that unless mixed with one of the brisket additive injections.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Can't say I'm the expert, but when I've cooked with grassfed in the past (and this was only steaks), success was more about how I adapted to cook it versus the traditional feedlot beeves. I use the same steak technique for both (sear over, as George Bush would put it, nucular hot flame, then slow roast on the cool end of the cooker), but adjust the cooking times down to account for the shorter window of error afforded by less fatty beef.

As a thought, I would recommend you talk to Matt the owner of Local Yocal in McKinney, Texas. He raises and sells his own grassfed Wagyu through his butcher shop, but has also competed in cookoffs as I recall. He oughta have a handle of what cuts bait and what fishes.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”