KCBS Judges & Teams: KCBS Events Search App Avaliable

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gw1500se
Pilgrim

KCBS Judges & Teams: KCBS Events Search App Avaliable

Postby gw1500se » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

As a judge it seemed like an arduous task to find events that were within a reasonable driving distance. I had to look through the web site for something that seemed close enough then find how far it is and determine if I want to apply. As a solution I decided to write an application in which I can specify a "home" location and a maximum driving time or distance. The application then scans all future KCBS Events and calculates the distance from the "home" location. It then gives me a list of events within that specified distance. In addition, it includes a link to the event website to make finding the application easier. I also had trouble keeping track of which events I had submitted an application so I added a feature that tracks events for which I had and those for which I was confirmed. I found it even more useful when I was planning to travel to unfamiliar areas. I could easily find if there were any nearby events at the time I was going to be there and possibly apply.

I thought this was sufficiently useful that I would share it with fellow KCBS members. This is a standalone Java application so it requires no installation and should work on any desktop/laptop computer with Java JRE 7 or better installed. It has been tested on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and several distributions of Linux. Since Java is platform independent, there is no reason to think it would not work on a Mac as well. Sorry, there is no mobile version at this time.

This is shareware so there is no cost to KCBS members for personal use. If you find it useful a donation is requested to defray costs of support and future releases but not required. To download the application simply click on this link and fill in the form. Further instruction will be provided at that point.

http://dap002.dyndns-ip.com/KCBSEvents
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: KCBS Judges & Teams: KCBS Events Search App Avaliable

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

That's cool.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”