Comp Ribs...foil / no foil???

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am

Do you wrap your ribs at comps or just smoke and glaze and box? I have been wrapping, but plan on a trial run in the next few weeks without wrapping. Feel like I am losing too much color and taste when I wrap and braise in the foil, washing all the rub off and softening or dissolving the bark.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Comp Ribs...foil / no foil???

Postby BluDawg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:40 am

I don't do comps and I don't foil. I have tried it and I was never happy with the results either. I think the main reason folks foil their bones for a comp is to protect the color because pretty counts for the snob judges. If your going to try it I would cut way back on the sugar in your rub to avoid turning them dark from carmalization and make up for it in the glaze. FWIW JM2C
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 am

To avoid boiling or steaming, lay the ribs in the foil and just fold it over with the bend towards the heat source, do not seal. Keeps juices in and the steam out, this prevents over smoking ans preserves the bark. Discard foil when its time to glaze. Butcher paper does same effect too. If you like a lot of smoke flavor and pink ribs all the way through dont foil but dont expect to win either, sorry.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 am

started winning when I started foiling ribd
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 am

I do currently foil, just was curious as to everyone elses methods. I usually sprinkle a bit more rub on the meat when I glaze before turn ins. Tried Hog Waller this past weekend, all of the attendees who came by and sampled my ribs loved them, but the judges didn't think so as I failed to place or make finals. I'll keep on trying. Sweet or spicy glaze? I tend to like a spicy rub with a sweet glaze...
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am

Most sanctions in Texas use a plastic fork and knife to taste the meat no fingers. If your ribs are leathery your pretty much toast on a judging table. You need to practice when to take the ribs out or open the foil to stiffen them up. Once again home cooking is different from comp. cooking and your ribs need to maintain color, aroma, taste and tenderness to hit. We worked a long time on our rub, glaze and technique to achieve what we believe is a good comp. rib.
Most comps. in Texas use local folks for judges they are just ordinary folks not snobs. :wink:
These took second at Vidor with 32 teams.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 pm

We always sample our products about 30 minutes after a turn in with those dreaded plastic fork and knives. Never have a problem getting a sample. We did stay and sample the winners ribs from this past weekend and was not as impressed with the flavor as we were with mine, they were a bit more tender, so it got me thinking I need to go longer in the foil, fall off the bone tender. Right now I'm going 3 hours smoke (spritzing with apple juice and Jack), 1 1/2 hours in the foil and 30-45 minutes back on uncovered and glazed. I tried the shiny, sweet glze for a couple comps earlier this year and had no calls with that, so the past few I went back to a duller, more spice glaze and did get to final table (11th place finish out of 49 teams) in Winnie a month ago.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 pm

I have yet to win either way. :x

The only reason I started to foil is to prevent the ribs from getting a thin but tough bark that makes it difficult to slice through. Don't always get this type of bark but often enough to make me want to foil. It also does tenderize the ribs nicely if you don't over do it.

Sweet or spicy? That all depends where you compete and what the judges like that day. But what do I know? :lol:

BD, call the judges what you want but these people can send you home a winner or a loser. So if you are going to compete better make their as**s happy. BTW the instant you help judge a bbq comp, you become a bbq snob! :D
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

js-tx wrote: BTW the instant you help judge a bbq comp, you become a bbq snob! :D

Now I know why common folks are looking at me funny. :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 pm

I wrap at home and comps. I just don't glaze at home unless I'm practicing my comp ribs.

Not trying to hijack the thread but when I wrap I wrap mine up air tight. Does anyone just wrap theres kind of loosely or am I in the norm?
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I wrap at home and comps. I just don't glaze at home unless I'm practicing my comp ribs.

Not trying to hijack the thread but when I wrap I wrap mine up air tight. Does anyone just wrap theres kind of loosely or am I in the norm?

I wrap fairly tightly but now I'm wondering if you allow a little heat to escape if it will prevent the bark from turning to mush but still tenderize the ribs?
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:00 pm

This thread definitely has my gears turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm

When I wrap they are double wrapped tight. When they are glazed the foil is just opened up to set the glaze. That is all I am saying I aint saying no more. :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 pm

bruno994 wrote:I do currently foil, just was curious as to everyone elses methods. I usually sprinkle a bit more rub on the meat when I glaze before turn ins. Tried Hog Waller this past weekend, all of the attendees who came by and sampled my ribs loved them, but the judges didn't think so as I failed to place or make finals. I'll keep on trying. Sweet or spicy glaze? I tend to like a spicy rub with a sweet glaze...

If using Hog Waller as a finishing rub, its a little gritty, put it in a coffee grinder to make it a bit more fine, works good that way for finish.

Have four 1st place rib trophies this year out of ten comps and this is what I tell my friends that want to know what I do.

There are only four things.
1. Fire control; charcoal wood whatever, air control between inlet and outlet, which all means temp
2. Recipe; from the wood to the rub to the smoke (amount) I agree with Tuffy on this one, most guys overdo smoke
3. Technique; that may include foil or not and or placement in the pit ect.
4. The meat; If you want a good rib, first buy a good rib.

As far as the judges, well as KAM said they are just regular folks at most Texas comps, I think the "snob" part may apply more to the kcbs "certified" folks, jmo.

We can all say we are great cooks but imo until you put it out there among your peers and competitiors and let other folks tell you its the winner then well then you can only say your great. Like saying I have a very fast car but never putting down the track, if ya know what ah mean.

Not criticizing of judging anyone, just saying. Bottom line at home if you, your family, and your friends love your Q then imo you are indeed the Grand Champion to them and thats all that matters there too.

Have fun

QueTEX
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 pm

js-tx wrote:
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I wrap at home and comps. I just don't glaze at home unless I'm practicing my comp ribs.

I wrap fairly tightly but now I'm wondering if you allow a little heat to escape if it will prevent the bark from turning to mush but still tenderize the ribs?

Yes!
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”