Achieving a moist brisket...Why can't I do it?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I am not new to cooking, just fairly new (started earlier this year) to competition cooking. Myself and everyone who eats my brisket love it. But after slicing the flat, within minutes, the slices are dry, which obviously at a comp is bad news depending on how long they have to sit before judging. I have made finals in brisket in my last 2 events, 15 out of 49 and 11 out of 21, but after the last comp, I hung around to taste test the Top 10 in each category and the winners brisket, 2 hours after the 2:00 turn in was moister than mine when I was slicing it to turn in. How did he achieve this? Is this normal and what the heck am I doing wrong? I'm close, and am happy with my flavor profile (preferred mine way over the winner this past weekend), but where is my moisture at? Injecting phosphates? Higher cook temps (I cook at 225 for 4-5 hours, then finish at 250)? Soaking slices before turn ins? I cook until toothpick tender, should I pull early (maybe 190 IT) then rest? Not shigging or wanting your secrets, just give me a helping hand or send me in the right direction...Thanks guys...
Cooking on a RF, offset with charcoal, oak and pecan.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Achieving a moist brisket...Why can't I do it?

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Many people are injecting their comp briskets. I'm fixing to start. Not that I'm unhappy with my brisket but the last three comps have all been second place. At each of those, an injected brisket took first. I cook HnF. I trim my fat cap to 1/4" and put it on the pit, fat cap up, for two hours at an average temp of 325. At 2 hours I wrap it and put it back on, at 325 for 3 to 4 more hours. When it feels limber, in the foil, when I pick it up, I pull it. I let it rest for about 45 minutes, tented, and then slice. I sometimes let the slices rest in au juis if time allows. I use an offset stick burner and usually use Hill Country Oak for comps with oak lump for a base.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Everything SD said but a longer rest will allow the moisture an juices to redistribute withing and reabsorb some of the moisture too. Drain the juices as soon as you pull it and let it sit in a fat separator and get rid of the oil/fat. Taste the juice and if it needs a little salt add it and after it dissolves add the juice back to the brisket and let it rest out. I try to get mine down to 150 to 160 before slicing. To please a wider range of taste buds at comps use salt only in the juice. Temp depends on your cooker, I cook at 300, good luck
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Starting with a nice well marbled brisket with a thick flat definitely helps. Injecting helps too but is no guarantee of a moist brisket. The phospates in these commercial injections are suppose to help with moisture retention. Resting for 2+ hours is supposed to help too.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm

I appreciate all the input so far and for the most part, I am doing are have tried the suggestions listed. I'l;l start the briskets about 1:00 AM and they are normally done by 11, no later than 12. So they are getting at least 2 hours rest prior to slicing, sometimes more depending upon brisket turn ins. I usually cook a Select and an Angus Choice side by side for comps, just to have a choice when it comes to turn ins. It's about a 50/50 split as far as what I have turned in between the Angus and the selects. Just wondering if I should pull mine earlier, say at an IT of 190 or so and give it a rest. I usually don't pull and rest them until they are toothpick tender. Possibly overcooking?
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Just for sh!ts and giggles try cooking one, at home, at 325 and see how it turns out. You might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm

bruno994 wrote:I appreciate all the input so far and for the most part, I am doing are have tried the suggestions listed. I'l;l start the briskets about 1:00 AM and they are normally done by 11, no later than 12. So they are getting at least 2 hours rest prior to slicing, sometimes more depending upon brisket turn ins. I usually cook a Select and an Angus Choice side by side for comps, just to have a choice when it comes to turn ins. It's about a 50/50 split as far as what I have turned in between the Angus and the selects. Just wondering if I should pull mine earlier, say at an IT of 190 or so and give it a rest. I usually don't pull and rest them until they are toothpick tender. Possibly overcooking?

I pull mine at 212-215 most of the time.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Don't know if I can afford to fire up my RF smoker to keep a constant 300+...LOL. It's already a forest eater at 250! Thanks Swamp, it's on my list of to dos.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 pm

bruno994 wrote:Just wondering if I should pull mine earlier, say at an IT of 190 or so and give it a rest. I usually don't pull and rest them until they are toothpick tender. Possibly overcooking?

I use a wooden skewer to probe for tenderness and wait till it's truly tender to pull it off. After that it rests out in the open for about 10-15 minutes (paper wrapped) so it can lose excess heat. Then it rests in an empty cooler for 2+ hours. IMO I think it's too risky to pull prematurely :lol: and hope it ends up just right.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Agree with ya Js, if it aint dome it aint done plain and simple but will add that cooking at lower temps it is done (tender) at lower temps too, just takes longer.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm

bruno994, its a well known fact that in the larger comps. the consistent winners are juicing their product to help maintain consistent moisture, slicing and flavor.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am

k.a.m. wrote:bruno994, its a well known fact that in the larger comps. the consistent winners are juicing their product to help maintain consistent moisture, slicing and flavor.

By juicing, I assume you mean injections? Phosphates and such, like copycat and Butchers? Yes, I am well aware of that. I inject with broth and worcestshire, usually simmered down with a bit of my rub to get flavor deep in the meat, but I haven't tried the phosphate injections yet.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:25 am

bruno994, yes that is what I was referring to. The beef broth while it will yield some flavor does little for retaining moisture like the commercial injections will. Also check your staining, using rubs that do not break down will sometimes show up as not a nice appearance in brisket slices.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Completed the HnF trial run this past Saturday with success. I cooked two 13# select briskets, both stayed neck and neck with their IT until I pulled them at 211 after 5 hours and 15 minutes of cooking. Kept pit temp at 325 fairly consistently, a few spikes and a few drops, nothing higher than 350 and nothing lower than 300 though. Trimmed heavy fat off, injected with Butchers BBQ brisket blend, coated with my normal brisket rub, then on the pit at 11:45, foiled at 3:00, once both reached 165 IT. Pulled off the pit at 5:00, let them rest for about an hour on kitchen counter. Separated the point and flats of both, then sliced flats, cubed points. Flat was juicy and moist, great flavor from a combo of my rub and the injection. Not sure that I'll go back to 12 hour briskets after the experiment. Serving sandwiches out of the flat today at work, we'll see what the public thinks about 'em.
Thanks guys for all the tips, so far so good.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of HnF briskets. Makes it seem simple, doesn't it?

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”