BBQ cookoff

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Captain dan
Pilgrim

BBQ cookoff

Postby Captain dan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 am

I have cooked brisket and recently obtained a nice smoker trailer. I want to join my first competition cookoff as it is for special needs kids and has 500 dollar first prize. I was wondering if anyone had do's and don'ts to help my first not be a complete laughing stock... It is nov 11th at Pop's Ice house in Kingwood , TX. If anyone wants to come out and show me how it's done I found the info here www.dreamcatcherstables.org.

Thx for your advice
Captain Dan
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

BBQ cookoff

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 am

Make sure you have your cook times down to a tee. It sucks to put in all that work and not make turn in. Start getting all your stuff together at the beginning of the week and keep a running list to help you from forgetting any of your supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captain dan
Pilgrim

Re: BBQ cookoff

Postby Captain dan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I usually have done about 18 hrs at about 170 degrees wrapping after 6-8 depending how they look. May win by default as only 1 other cooker so far
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

That seems like a little overkill on the Low n Slow. Most people wrap their brisket at about 160 and then pull it when it probes tender, which is usually arpound 200-205. I cook my brisket Hot n Fast. I hit it for 2 hours at 325 then wrap and let it go for four more hours. Let it rest, tented for about an hour and it's good to go. If you have other stuff on the pit and you're flapping the doors then you'll have to adjust your time accordingly. I'm sure you can find 100 people that cook 100 different ways too. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just telling you how I cook. I dont even check my brisket temp, I just cook it. I've got a lot of first and second place brisket trophies though.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Ive cooked at Pappas before...nice place and cold beer.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:That seems like a little overkill on the Low n Slow. Most people wrap their brisket at about 160 and then pull it when it probes tender, which is usually arpound 200-205. I cook my brisket Hot n Fast. I hit it for 2 hours at 325 then wrap and let it go for four more hours. Let it rest, tented for about an hour and it's good to go. If you have other stuff on the pit and you're flapping the doors then you'll have to adjust your time accordingly. I'm sure you can find 100 people that cook 100 different ways too. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just telling you how I cook. I dont even check my brisket temp, I just cook it. I've got a lot of first and second place brisket trophies though.

I second that motion
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Capt. Dan, as Swamp Donkeyz stated, know your cook times for each meat, whether it's 18 hours or 6 hours, we all turn in at the same time. Secondly, if people like your food when you cook at home, cook it the same way at a cookoff. Don't let BBQ Pitmasters change how you cook from the house to a comp. The judges are real people, using plastic forks and knives to take samples of your product. After you have cooked a few, if your having no success, then make a few subtle changes (different rubs, sauces, methods), and most of all have fun, meet people and enjoy what you already love, cooking Q! Good luck to you.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”