Best Comp Rib Rub

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Best Comp Rib Rub

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

js-tx wrote:
BluDawg wrote:OK I got to ask, I've been cooking "Q" almost 30 yrs, Will some body please explain to me the difference between a COMP rub and the stuff I mix up in my kitchen. Is there some kind of secret voodoo spice in it? Can it only be purchased and possessed by a Professional actively competing Pit Masters? :dont:

Best way to explain it is comp. bbq is "1 bite BBQ", meaning you have to pack enough good flavor in just one bite (actually judges can't bite BBQ, the can only slice a piece off with a plastic knife/fork) to impress the judges. Sometimes bold flavors work, sometimes a nice balanced flavor gets the best scores, just depends on who shows up to judge that day. At home you many not do things like layering rubs, brining, marinate, glazing, adding extra rub on etc. like many do at comps. So really IMO a "comp rub" is just part of the overall "equation". Comps are a lot of fun, you should check one out one day BD.

BTW, I have yet to walk in ribs for comps, so I'm still searching for my "winning" formula. I do believe I'm on the right track though! :)

"One Bite BBQ" BULLSEYE!! I never glaze or layer rubs at home. Truthfully, I prefer ribs with no sauce.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”