Competition Brisket

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Competition Brisket

Postby jtilk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Just wanted to throw this out and get ya'lls take on competition briskets. As most of us would say when doing comps you have to impress the judges with one bite, which to me seems to be easier with ribs and chicken than brisket if you ask me. But for those of us who compete on a regular basis, what would you attribute to making your brisket stand out? Is it the injection you use? a baste? your rub? a specific ingredient you throw in?... Not wanting any specifics, just wondering as I know everyone has a different approach and not everyone will use all of those mentioned above.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Competition Brisket

Postby js-tx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I still consider myself a rookie competitor but had some success with brisket the other day. IMO, I think a well cooked brisket with the right injection and a flavorful rub works. I know people do fine w/out injecting but I think it's necessary to be consistent. I've never sauced but I think if it's allowed it would help as well, although I wouldn't over do it.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 am

Overall flavor in and out, smoke ring and bark mean nothing compared to flavor. They do add to the presentation though and we eat with our eyes first but flavor rules.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:58 am

I'd say cooking it perfectly( tender, moist) & presentation (neatness in the box), If it is cooked right the flavor will be there. Remember it is all about the meat not how much chit you can load in and on it.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm

I guess what I'm getting at is that when it comes to brisket everyone seems to aim for "beefing" up the beef flavor, so out of 30 or 40 teams it's a little more difficult to stand apart seeing as though everyone aims for a flavor of this sort... While chicken and ribs may taste like chicken or pork, they are usually glazed and you have the "sweetness" factor to set them apart.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Like I said, flavor rules and believe or not most cooks at comps dont even know how to cook brisket. Make a good tender brisket with some good flavor in and out and you will do well. Was head judge this weekend at a local c/o, some cook comes over and asks me at 9 am if I could go inspect his meat please cause he was running late no one had done so yet. He pulls a 15-16lb brisket out of the ice, lol and I look at it andits still in cryo so I say ok good and he drops it back in the ice to cook later. I say hey dude you may want to get it out of the ice now, turn in ia at 3 pm and he looks at me and says I'll cook it in a couple of hours, I think okie dokie. No he did not place lol. Out of 18 briskets there was like 2 there were ok and the first place was a bit dry but did have very good overall flavor, some others had more moisture and actually looked much better but had no flavor, same with chicken.

FLAVOR!
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 pm

RW is right on the money. I helped judged finals table brisket this past weekend. There were 22 entries, 4 were good, 4 or 5 weren't good at all and the rest were just average IMO. Couldn't help but notice the guy next to me had very similar scores. Turns out he likes to smoke briskets like me. Good balanced flavor throughout is key for brisket.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”