judging tables?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

judging tables?

Postby js-tx » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 pm

So I've noticed some comps. will have 1 table of 8 or so judging 20-25 entries, while some comps will have multiple tables judging 30+ entires. I understand part of this is a logistic thing, but I'm wondering if anybody adjusts their flavors accordingly? It seems a single table doing all the judging will get their taste buds all worn out no matter what. So as a result, you may have to put some extra flavor or spice on your turn-ins. I know going overboard on any flavor/spice can affect your scores but if you have to stand out among 20+ teams, what choice do you have? I volunteered to help judge a comp this weekend so I'll post back with anything I learn.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: judging tables?

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 am

I try to have between 5 to 7 judges per table and no more than 12 to 15 trays per table however it depends on the number of teams and "available" judges. I leave team member judges as the last resort as that is always the "monkey wrench". Yes after 15 trays the judge usually gets weak imo.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 am

I never adjusted my flavor profile due to the number of entries (Dance with the one that brung you). The judging table IMHO is where the luck element really comes into play. If your entry is the first to be tasted I feel like it's setting the bar and won't be scored as high due to a judge thinking thats pretty good but how many of the remaining 14 are better. Human nature; if I mark this a 10 and the next one is better I can't mark higher than a 10 so I better mark this one a 7 are maybe 8. If your entry is judged toward the bottom I feel the judges taste buds are saturated which again will result in a low score. Then from time to time you get judges that don't listen to the instructions and mark a produt a 1 for first place. May sound funny but believe me it happens.
BAR "G"
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 am

A 1 for 1st place?! That's pretty horrible.

I know what you are saying about not giving a 10 right off the bat, but I've noticed the times I've judged the first few boxes I get seem to taste better and I end up giving them higher scores. I try to be as fair as possible, so maybe it's just coincidence. I guess in the end it all balances out.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 am

Al the times I have judged - we never had more than 14 boxes at any table I sat at, and I am done at 14 I know that for a fact - 15 would be overkill. I walk away wondering why did I just do that for about a hour or so, and then I am ready for the next chance to judge.
And the part about folks not listening to instructions, that happens - Sometimes when judges are needed badly they will ask folks driving down the road to come judge or something crazy like that and those are usually the folks who have no idea about whats going on. I prefer to contact the comp contact well before the comp and let them put me on the list so they know I will be there for judging and also what categories I will be judging.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am

True some people just dont pay attn or listen. The table monitor has to pay close attn, and yes we do sometimes have to throw away and not count some sheets done by idiots.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”