Which BBQ Association? Central Texas

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

1977scoutII
Pilgrim

Postby 1977scoutII » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm

All,

I am looking to join a BBQ association here in Central Texas / Austin area. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Looks like I have a few to choose from, but don't want to join one that I will not enjoy.

ICBA - International BBQ Cookers Association
CTBA - Central Texas BBQ Association
LSBS - Lonestar BBQ Society - Can't access their website

Any suggestions? Seems like these three sanction several events in this area.
:texas:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Which BBQ Association? Central Texas

Postby limey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I have cooked in all 3 but we were Central Texas BBQ members. Only drawback with CTBA was that during turnins you had to have a show piece and 20 bite size pieces, Good for chicken but ribs were a pain. Lonestar BBQ Society and IBCA have about the same rules, half chicken, 7ribs, 7 slices brisket for turnins. Brisket has to be sliced a certain width( pencil width) or they will not accept it. I was a bit perturbed at one cookoff when I had one slice that was a bit over and would not accept it but that was my bad. IBCA and Lonestar are the bigger of the three you mentioned, we cooked around central Texas so that was the main reason we were involved with CTBA. Might also check out there websites for certain cookoffs, that the organization might add money to payouts for members only.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 pm

I cook some of all three each year just because I cook the events that are close to me regardless of affiliation....i do however prefer the rules of IBCA and LSBS. CTBA rules for turn ins are a joke in my opinion and open the door for marked boxes etc...but I still cook them because I'll have fun either way.
"Sic 'em Bears"
1977scoutII
Pilgrim

Postby 1977scoutII » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks guys!

I was finally able to access the LSBS website. The event's schedule aligns with my comfortable "territory". I think that is the group I'd like to join. Again, appreciate the input and would gladly accept more.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Went LSBS and would do an IBCA b/c the rules were pretty "purist". Cutting my ribs into bite sized pieces w PVC shears or my brisket into 21 pieces just put me off. Just me.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
zilla USER_AVATAR
Zilla
Rustler

Postby Zilla » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Join them all cook them all
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:06 pm

The amount you turn in has changed, the CTBA now tries to keep the pieces to 12 with max of 16. ALL cookers use silver tin foil and no garnish, but we are starting to add pork butt as a jackpot catagory which can be garnished. FYI I have put up to 22 baby back ribs in my tray, plus how are you marking an entry if everyone is doing the same thing :happ: :happ: , I think that possibility exist in every organization, there all fun to cook in, I have cooked in them all, but the CTBA is where I do most of my cooking. New officers and president have made a lot of changes for the good.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”