TGCBA Open Category

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

TGCBA Open Category

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm cooking in a TGCBA sanctioned event. Categories are Brisket, Chicken and Spares along with Open. My question is regarding the open category. Does it have to be meat only? Can I add ingredients like jalapenos or cheese to the dish? This is my first cook off, so I just want to make sure before I start coming up with an entry.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: TGCBA Open Category

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Scott P wrote:I'm cooking in a TGCBA sanctioned event. Categories are Brisket, Chicken and Spares along with Open. My question is regarding the open category. Does it have to be meat only? Can I add ingredients like jalapenos or cheese to the dish? This is my first cook off, so I just want to make sure before I start coming up with an entry.

it can be ANYTHING your heart desires..... :D
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:59 pm

anything except brisket ribs or chicken usually
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks! Now I can continue with my experiments. My neighbors love me and my samples that i am making them try.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes, anything but a competition meat.... do what you want have fun with it, even add sides if you'd like.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Desserts always do very well in open
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am

Desserts are not eligible per the rules of this one.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I don't do comps but would like to just for the camaraderie.

Seems like meat is covered well enough with the competition meats - does seafood go over well in the open category? Like blackened fish or shrimp or scallops?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 pm

egghead wrote:I don't do comps but would like to just for the camaraderie.

Seems like meat is covered well enough with the competition meats - does seafood go over well in the open category? Like blackened fish or shrimp or scallops?

I actually won a sanctioned even last year with seafood. Grilled red snapper on a half-shell with a cream sauce over the top served w/ shrimp brochette. I've also seen people serve up fried fish and shrimp as well...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 am

At the EMC Fair and Rodeo BBQ Cook Off, four of the top ten (including the winner) were Bacon Wrapped Shrimp. Redfish, Pulled Pork and Stuffed Jalapenos were also there. Our BBQ Gator Uramaki Sushi Rolls finished 12th out of the 96 entrants. If I had used shrimp, I wonder if I would have hit the top ten.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Scott P wrote:At the EMC Fair and Rodeo BBQ Cook Off, four of the top ten (including the winner) were Bacon Wrapped Shrimp. Redfish, Pulled Pork and Stuffed Jalapenos were also there. Our BBQ Gator Uramaki Sushi Rolls finished 12th out of the 96 entrants. If I had used shrimp, I wonder if I would have hit the top ten.

Bacon wrapped shrimp served alone are far to common at these events if you want to stand out in my opinion...
But yes, it does make you wonder... Congrats on 12th, nothing to be ashamed of out of 96 teams.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 pm

This was our first ever competition, so we were very excited to finish 12th in the Open category. I really worked hard on coming up with something unique using not common ingredients. I had stuffed jalapenos and pulled pork made for the guests and never thought they would be good enough for a competition creativity-wise.

Here is a pic of our entry, BBQ Gator Uramaki Sushi Rolls. I did rotate them so all the gator eat was lined up before I closed the lid. I do wish I chose a better piece for the front on the right that had a better "look" with the swirl.

Breakfast sausage was rolled out and topped with roasted hatch chile peppers and bacon. Strips of yellow bell pepper, poblano pepper and gator tail meat were laid in the center and the whole thing was rolled up on a sushi mat. If you are familiar with Uramaki, the breakfast sausage is the rice, the bacon and hatch peppers are the nori and the fillings are the gator and peppers. I think a thinner cut of bacon and red bell instead of yellow bell would be improvements in looks for better color contrast. The taste is fantastic though.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”