Which cook off would you do and why?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Serial grillers
Pilgrim

Which cook off would you do and why?

Postby Serial grillers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Looking to do one more cookoff close to San Antonio. Of these which would you do and why/why not? Looking for fun place for family and team to have a good weekend cooking. Thanks for the info.
Canyon lake
Wimberly
San Marcos.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Which cook off would you do and why?

Postby js-tx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:46 pm

I haven't cooked the comps you mentioned but Schertzfest which is held the last weekend in Sept. is pretty good for families. They have a carnival and concerts on the ground which is always nice if you have kids. A lot of good teams come out for that one too. Check out the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ site if you are interested.
americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Postby Americana Cookers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am

I already signed up for the one in Canyon Lake on the 28th, it will be my first time cooking in that one. Heard it was a good cook off. Haven't cooked in either the Wimberly or San Marcos ones, but plan on doing the San Marcos Cook off, great pay outs! Also I have been doing the Comal County Fair BBQ Cook Off since the start, its a fun one as well.
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 am

being new to being back in Texas, what sanctioning body is putting these cook offs on? are they IBCA? i ask because i sure would like to gather more information on each of them
Good To Go BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Good To Go BBQ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:06 am

I believe all of these are LSBS cookoffs.I have cooked San Marcos and Wimberly both good.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:59 am

We did Taylor last year as our first cook and we had a lot of fun despite the heat. People were real nice, its a nice park setting. But would probably not do it again as we didn't care for the CTBA rules. Having to chop your meat and ribs up into about 20 individual bite size pieces is just kind of crazy. If I wanted a chop beef sandwich I would cetainly do it but for a comp it seems a little nutty to me. The LSBS or IBCA rules just make a lot more sense.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
smokin62
Pilgrim

Postby smokin62 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 pm

I did not know Taylor had any CTBA cookoffs anymore. I knew they use to sanction the cookoff at the SPJST Hall, but not anymore cause we cooked there 2 years ago. They use CTBA rules but it is not sanctioned. That cookoff in the park is unsanctioned, we use to cook there. The seven categories are a killer though. Although I really enjoyed cooking at the SPJST. I think cooking under those rules was fun.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

The SPJST was a separate cook. The International we did was not sanctioned but my understanding was they used CTBA type rules - anybody correct me if wrong. As I recall it did not hurt Dirty, he won Brisket I think. And outside of cutting my meat into 21 pieces or something like that, it was a fun cook and nice people.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
smokin62
Pilgrim

Postby smokin62 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

That is correct. I remember turning in that many pieces. The chicken category was the one I remember now. I enjoyed it though. Seems like to me you can do so much more on appearance under CTBA. It seems like this year they have went down on the number of pieces. One cookoff with one hundred and forty two teams we turned in twenty, but the other cookoffs have been 13-15 pieces.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”