Ashes

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Ashes

Postby HillCountryKid » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a questions and I have looked on here but can not find anything, what do you do with your ashes after the cook off ends? I am going to take a metal trash can with a lid. Do some of these places have a place to dump. I know the last thing you want to do is drive down the road with hot ashes?

Thanks
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Ashes

Postby js-tx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Some of these comps have dedicated barrels or pits to dispose of ashes. In this case I will put all my ashes in a bucket and put water on them to make sure they are out. Makes a mess but better than dealing with hot ashes or starting a fire. If they don't have a place to throw ashes then I will put them out on the ground (not concrete of course) with a lot of water.
brandotexan USER_AVATAR
brandotexan
Wrangler

Postby brandotexan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Don't do what I did! I had a metal trash can and would dump all the ashes/coals in there. It rained one day and filled with water due to me not properly placing the lid on. The trash can weighed about 300lbs, I'm a pretty big dude and I could barely budge it! Now I fill it up about half way and take it to the dump.
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the help
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 pm

I usually have a few extra aluminum pans laying around after the cookoff. At this point most of my ashes have burnt down so I'll scrape them into the doubled up aluminum pans and pour water over them and throw away.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:56 pm

i use this can and lid combo. available at home depot. around $25.00 or so.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”