Brisket...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Brisket...

Postby ecto1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Ok I got a question on the brisket category. I feel like I am close but still just a little off. This was the brisket my wife cooked this weekend and it looks pretty but it is not the fall apart in your mouth that I am looking for. We get walks in Chicken and ribs all the time just want to get that third meat up to par so we will be a compete team.

This is what I try to turn in every time this one was nice and moist just not fall apart. When I take them too far I can not cut them. I pulled this about 180 because of time constraint do you think the extra 10 to 15 degrees is what is killing me? Also in Texas BBQ what is more important bark or Texture?

Any pointers would be appreciated
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brisket...

Postby BluDawg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 pm

You need to stop cooking to a temp and go by the poke test I don't start to check until at last 190 deg and most will not give it up until 200 and some times 205. I say Texture and a Beefy flavor over bark.
Last edited by BluDawg on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Brisket...

Postby atcNick » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am

I cook my briskets hot n fast. It seems like my briskets are usually done at a higher internal temp than when I cook low and slow. Usually around 208-210.

From what other cookers tell me, bark isn't very important. It's texture and tenderness.

I'm right there with you on brisket. I thought I made the best brisket I ever cooked last weekend. Judges disagreed.

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I think that last 10-15 degrees will make a difference in tenderness. This past weekend, I put my brisket on around 12:30am, so there would be no way I would have to pull it before it's done. Flavor is just as important too IMO. I opted to use a brisket given to my buddy. Unfortunately it was a select and the flat was very thin.... you can guess the rest.
americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Brisket...

Postby Americana Cookers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

Ecto, I'm +1 on the taste and texture over bark! That extra 10 might of been perfect. Are you wrapping it? That is some great looking brisket you have there, the smoke ring is perfect! Good luck getting it where you want it!
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Agree with the others Ecto, needs a little more time and the poke is correct everytime. If you get the taste and texture first then work on the bark you'l be top 5. Another thing that helps the flavor alot is the rest period, I like to rest at least 2 hours and not in the cooler, it needs to come down some in temp. That helps with the slicing too. Nothing wrong with low and slow but hot n fast is where its at, especially in comps. Good luck.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 am

ecto1 wrote:Ok I got a question on the brisket category. I feel like I am close but still just a little off. This was the brisket my wife cooked this weekend and it looks pretty but it is not the fall apart in your mouth that I am looking for. We get walks in Chicken and ribs all the time just want to get that third meat up to par so we will be a compete team.

This is what I try to turn in every time this one was nice and moist just not fall apart. When I take them too far I can not cut them. I pulled this about 180 because of time constraint do you think the extra 10 to 15 degrees is what is killing me? Also in Texas BBQ what is more important bark or Texture?

Just a little something to add to the excellent advice you have already recieved. Cut deeper into the brisket for longer turn in slices. In KCBS slices that neatly fit in the box are a must for appearance sake. LSBS and IBCA events are just a tad different. I have placed more consistent in brisket with slices that I had to slightly wrap to fit the tray than slices that fit neatly into the tray. Most judges as well as cooks including myself like to eat BBQ and as the old saying goes you eat with your eyes first. Example; when I order a plate of brisket at a restaurant and it is served with a small thin slice are two of brisket I am immediately turned off. I came in to eat BBQ brisket not sides. A judge is only going to eat one bite but I just feel there is something about the eye appeal of a full plater of brisket slices.
BAR "G"
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:
ecto1 wrote:Ok I got a question on the brisket category. I feel like I am close but still just a little off. This was the brisket my wife cooked this weekend and it looks pretty but it is not the fall apart in your mouth that I am looking for. We get walks in Chicken and ribs all the time just want to get that third meat up to par so we will be a compete team.

Just a little something to add to the excellent advice you have already recieved. Cut deeper into the brisket for longer turn in slices. In KCBS slices that neatly fit in the box are a must for appearance sake. LSBS and IBCA events are just a tad different. I have placed more consistent in brisket with slices that I had to slightly wrap to fit the tray than slices that fit neatly into the tray. Most judges as well as cooks including myself like to eat BBQ and as the old saying goes you eat with your eyes first. Example; when I order a plate of brisket at a restaurant and it is served with a small thin slice are two of brisket I am immediately turned off. I came in to eat BBQ brisket not sides. A judge is only going to eat one bite but I just feel there is something about the eye appeal of a full plater of brisket slices.

I agee with Bar G, you want to cover the the whole tray with big slice's of beef!! Your brisket looks great other than being small in length.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Ecto-
I'm in the same boat. I'm almost disappointed if I go to a cookoff and dont get a call in ribs or chicken. But then again I dont guess it would be fair to constantly walk in all 3 categories now would it :wink: I kid, I kid.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”