Battle of Medina

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Battle of Medina

Postby RWBTEX » Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm

js-tx wrote:Texas SmokeMasters, but you might not have heard our name, we didn't make top 10 in anything..

It's kinda tough figuring out what judges are looking for. There are some teams like Burnt Bean Co. and JD Team Extreme that seemed to have something figured out, they do pretty good.

Yes they been cooking longer and have a lot more practice and the "SECRETS", lol. Take Rednecks class or Mikes Lotta Bull class and you'll learn in one day what it took a lot of us many years to learn, but it still takes some practice in getting all the variables right.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Battle of Medina

Postby RWBTEX » Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Pony Express wrote:I walk consistently and have finally realized that you cant figure out what the judges are looking for because it changes from region to region and comp to comp because the judges are always different.

ever notice how earnest and JD don't wander far from home?

Travel too far north or south or east and west, and flavor profiles change. Its a hard lesson to learn but I have finally stopped trying to figure out what I did wrong. I can get 1st place ribs at a comp and next week barely make top 10 or not at all and the ribs are exactly the same! was it me doing something wrong or just a completely different set of judges in a different region!

Here's what the "BIG BOYS" have been telling me for 3 years and I have finally accepted

"Cook what you Know" at the comp. Practice at home.

And consider this also.. Earnest, JD, Darwin and others haven't "figured out what the judges want" per sey, they are just darn good cooks!

Very very accurate! Right on target Pony.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”