Ultimate Sin ?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Ultimate Sin ?

Postby Trail Blazer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Tommorow i am cooking for our shop and i am cooking Tiblitas ( cross cut ribs ) and chicken . My smoker is offset from the fire box and i like cooking tiblitas over straight heat . So my question is will i mess up my seasond smoker if i build the fire in my smokin chamber to increase direct heat grill space ? Hope this makes sense . i have 40 pounds of tiblitas and 20 pounds of chicken to cook so i want to do it as fast as i can to make sure i have it done on time . Whats your thought's ? If i am going to commdo more harm than good i will start a little sooner and store the finished goods in my cambro
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Ultimate Sin ?

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 pm

I'd defer comment to the competitive guys but I would tend to think it really depends on how much average heat you typically run to cook them with....a really high heat maybe you have to go back and re-season a bit with some peanut oil? Curious about the Tiblitas concept, are these like a spanish style rib?

My offset cooker also has a full size wood tray in the chamber itself (that I never use) so it's not unusual I would think.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Boots wrote:? Curious about the Tiblitas concept, are these like a spanish style rib?

Yes you can find them at any Mexican meat market great for grilling.

I would place a large aluminum pan under your tabalitas and throw some lit kingsford to grill those but you are going to raise the temp of your pit. A lot of smokers have the grill potion in the main chamber you must keep it clean though no ash left in it or it will rust.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Tablitas are good food fo'sho! :) I use my smoker as a grill more often than not, but many on here do consider it a sin. It will get hot and burn off some seasoning in the bottom of the pit for sure. If you are that worried about it, can't you find a little Weber or something to cook them on? They cook so fast that it wouldn't take much to get them done. Even a $15 Walmart-jobber would suit you just fine.

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”