High Grade Butchers in North Texas

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:34 pm

I hope all you deputies won't mind, but since this doesn't appear direct competition to you guys, thought I would put in a shameless plug for my two favorite butchers in the North Texas Area (and they are the real deal) who supply really high quality stuff. For you competition guys they both supply Wagyu beef. By the way, I don't have any financial or business interest in either of these places, I just really appreciate great meat and great service and they deliver, so hey, I want to deliver for them too. Perhaps others would like to nominate their local butchers too. Support your local butcher!!!

First up is Matt the owner of Local Yocal just off the NE corner of the square in McKinney, Texas. Matt is actually a local rancher (several generations I think) who set up shop in the old location where Hamm's meat market used to be, and he runs his own cows and sells his own beef, as well as beef from other local producers. He is also growing and developing his own Wagyu herd, and I bought my competition brisket from him (best I ever cooked). IT IS A REAL BUTCHER SHOP. If you ask nicely, his wife or one of the other nice folks behind the counter will probably let you watch the butcher cut your meat right off the cow, or you can just pick it out of the counter space. No preservatives, just real meat at pretty fair prices. Fair warning, you won't get 2 dollar a pound brisket like out of WalSamsCostCo-KMart, but you will in fact be supporting a local TEXAS AMERICAN business that delivers the real deal with a smile and a thank you from a real old time butcher in an authentic Texas town (the James brothers actually used to vacation with their cousins in McKinney in between robberies, and likely hung out at one or more of the 27 saloons that used to exist downtown in the late 1800's). I give Matt the Boots Seal of Approval.

http://localyocalfarmtomarket.blogspot.com

Second up is Gary Hirsch of Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano, Texas. I have been buying meat from Gary for nearly 10 years and he and his people deliver every single time for me. You can get ANYTHING there. I get whole porkbellies for bacon (still working on getting bacon right), 1855 ribs, and (angel music) Strube Ranch wagyu briskets. Just be aware that the week prior to any holiday, Gary gets really busy and it is a "take a number and wait" kind of place. I went in on like Dec. 22nd, and he was rolling through around 100 customers per hour, and had like 10 butchers and service people working round the clock. He is not the cheapest, but he delivers 100% on quality. I give them the Boots Seal of Approval.

http://www.hirschsmeats.com/

Last up, I will note that HEB and Market Street/United Grocers (and even that high brow Birkenstock wearin' bunch Whole Foods) are Texas owned companies. Safeway is not. Kroger is not. Albertson's/Sav-On is not. Walmarts Made in China is not. Now, no offense to anybody in other states and you should support you own local businesses (that the American way, salute). I simply point this out because I am a believer in buy local, buy Texan, buy American.

By the way, the Boots Seal of Approval means I will spend my hard earned money for it and slap it on the plate for my own family, I want to give them the best food I can, cheap or not. Put it another way, it follows one of my tenents of life: Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Be well, brothers.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

Re: High Grade Butchers in North Texas

Postby Bauer8It » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:32 pm

I've been to LocalYocal and was impressed. They have a great selection and are very friendly. It's my new butcher.
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Thank you!
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:55 am

Great post, I go to Hirsch's--which is great, definitely sign up for their newsletter
Never been to LocalYocal, gotta check it out.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Another one to check out in this area is Matador Meat and Wine.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:51 pm

What are 1855 ribs?

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
pg smoker USER_AVATAR
PG Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby PG Smoker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 pm

I am big fan of Matador Meat and Wine in North Plano. CAB Beef and Prime...Check them out and talk to Matt. Good folks, and great home made sausage!
Brian Rush
Owner
Premier Grilling - The Outdoor Kitchen Experts!
7776 W. Main St. Suite 300
Frisco, TX 75033
www.premiergrilling.com
469-342-3461 ext 101
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 pm

JT I recall the 1855's are Hormels better grade ribs. Not necessarily restaurant grade but good porkers. I'll eat 'em and I'm picky.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”