Looking for Mentor/Team - Houston Area

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

el pistolero USER_AVATAR
El Pistolero
Pilgrim

Looking for Mentor/Team - Houston Area

Postby El Pistolero » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Long time backyard cooker here, looking to get into competition. I'd like to find a mentor to help me learn the ropes, or a team that needs a good gopher. Travel isn't a problem, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my feet wet, including kicking in financially. I'll work as hard as anyone, I'm pretty easy to get along with, and I do have some chops...just not competition tested.

Anyone that could use someone like myself, please give me a shout. TIA
KCBS CBJ
'Original' Oklahoma Joe Offset, 22" WSM
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: Looking for Mentor/Team - Houston Area

Postby ecto1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm

We won't be cooking again until after the new year but you are always welcome to come hang out with us when we cook. We cook mainly in Houston about 6 comps a year. Our team may not be the most seasoned but we have got a trophy in ever comp we have cooked in. You will find most people that cook comps will be glad to talk BBQ with you they may be a little busy on Saturdays between 10 and 2 but the rest of the time is usually a lot of fun. I would sugest you look up comps on the TGCBA website and call the organizer and see if you could help judge a comp. That will let you know where your que stands and what judges are looking for. At the same time it will let you see how a comp is run and what to expect when you finally decide you are ready to get you feet wet.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”