South Texas competitions

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokinTunes
Pilgrim

South Texas competitions

Postby SmokinTunes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 am

I was curious as to which cook-offs in South Texas are the largest ones in terms of entrants & attendance. I've enjoyed any I've been to regardless of how big the event was, but since I'm new to this community thought I'd ask the seasoned folks.

Thanks!
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: South Texas competitions

Postby 3 star redneck » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 am

Hold em and hit em...january...houston........Pasedena labor day week end.......Mercedes...january.......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 pm

If you mean in the SA area, I think the SA rodeo and the La Vernia park comps are the biggest. Best bet is to follow the prize money... I'm just a brand new rookie, so there could be a few others out there.
SmokinTunes
Pilgrim

Postby SmokinTunes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info!
mw
Pilgrim

Postby mw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Big one in Edinburg in July. Mercedes is usually pretty big in Feb (?). You have quite a few to pick from in that part of the state. Seems like they have one every weekend somewhere down south of SA.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Couple of big ones a year in San Diego Tx small town 60 plus teams
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Smokin on the Rio is usually in february, this year we had 132 teams if memory is right, huge fun event. When we started it we had 16 teams first year, Chuck and his crew have done an awesome job of making it a great event and the 10G's money aint bad too.
Edinburg has not come close to mercedes event ever but this year was a fun one even with the rains, 62 teams if I recall.

Guess it depends on what you mean by south Texas? I always laugh when people include austin and houston as "south", lol ya still have 6 more hours of road time to really be south imo, San Antonio ? well maybe the upper part of south.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm

RWBTEX wrote:Smokin on the Rio is usually in february, this year we had 132 teams if memory is right, huge fun event. When we started it we had 16 teams first year, Chuck and his crew have done an awesome job of making it a great event and the 10G's money aint bad too.
Edinburg has not come close to mercedes event ever but this year was a fun one even with the rains, 62 teams if I recall.

Guess it depends on what you mean by south Texas? I always laugh when people include austin and houston as "south", lol ya still have 6 more hours of road time to really be south imo, San Antonio ? well maybe the upper part of south.

C'mon now ... Houston dont have but an hr's drive directly south before you hit water. It's not our fault the coast is curved.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:33 am

jtilk wrote:
RWBTEX wrote:Smokin on the Rio is usually in february, this year we had 132 teams if memory is right, huge fun event. When we started it we had 16 teams first year, Chuck and his crew have done an awesome job of making it a great event and the 10G's money aint bad too.

C'mon now ... Houston dont have but an hr's drive directly south before you hit water. It's not our fault the coast is curved.

Sorry I agree Houston is East Texas it has Pine Trees and Bayous not Mesquite and cactus.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 pm

ecto1 wrote:
jtilk wrote:

Sorry I agree Houston is East Texas it has Pine Trees and Bayous not Mesquite and cactus.

Well to each his own as to what you "classify" south Texas. But I will tell you there is plenty of cactus around the surrounding areas of Houston. I live about 45 min's south there is quite a bit around here... but if mesquite and cactus are your qualifications for south Texas then you can go ahead and include Austin.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”