Flavor Profile on Chicken

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Flavor Profile on Chicken

Postby jtilk » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Just wanted to get a lil feedback from everyone on the forum... We hear alot about the debate on ribs as to what places better sweet or savory. But I'm curious as to what approach everyone takes when it comes to chicken? What flavor profile do you guys seems to do better with? A little heat? Sweet? Straight chicken stock?... I have alot of friends who use Italian dressing, which I personally dont like using, so I have gone to a marinade that is actually somewhat sweet (contains alot of brown sugar and chicken broth) and have done quite well.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Flavor Profile on Chicken

Postby RWBTEX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Most consistent winners brine and some inject
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 pm

We have done well with a savory recipe. We have two recipes and both have placed. But I know of a few teams that use a sweet recipe and they place regularly. If it twernt for taste impaired judges this stuff would be easy to figure out!!!! :D :D :D :dont: :dont: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 am

Brine, Basted with Italian Dressing mixed with a slightly spicy rub, Been a consistent top 5 for me.
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:02 pm

a wise man once told me (that has always won the chicken category in LSBS) that "chicken should taste like chicken" apparently i have never found out what that means as of yet.....lol
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Well my chicken worries have been put to rest after this weekend ... I think I'll continue doing what I'm doing :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Think your on the right track, add a little salt to balance the sweet. Salt opens up the taste buds to everything else. A couple my friends use that italian and it seems to be hit or miss, sometimes score sometimes not even fiinals and I personally think its pretty good but as mentioned earlier, chicken should taste like chicken for consistent results. just imho.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:55 pm

It's hard for me to describe how my chicken has been coming out, it does have sweet taste but it's not overpowering. The current marinade I've been using has a cup of sugar in it, but it's mixed with chicken broth along with some other stuff so I guess this helps balance it out.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Postby Tuck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

jtilk wrote:It's hard for me to describe how my chicken has been coming out, it does have sweet taste but it's not overpowering. The current marinade I've been using has a cup of sugar in it, but it's mixed with chicken broth along with some other stuff so I guess this helps balance it out.

OK now you have me curious as to the process ? I don't want to give anything seriously away but I am curious as to what you contribute your success too ?

Thanks

Tuck

:blues:
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”