brisket bark?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

brisket bark?

Postby js-tx » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm curious to know what sort of brisket bark does well in comps. Is it crusty and charred, mushy, somewhere in the middle or none at all? My guess is somewhere in the middle but I could be wrong. Thoughts? Thanks! I'm including a pic of some of the best bark I've had on a brisket.. pay no attention to the lack of smoke ring :oops: , my bubba kegs can be guilty of that sometimes.

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: brisket bark?

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:37 am

Me thinks your guess is right, i try to have a nice one like you have there and put a light seasoning or salt on it before slicing but I've seen some win that looked and tasted like they were boiled in an oven, go figure. the biggest thing I see losing at the judges table is a tough under cooked brisket or a over cooked very dry brisket. Good luck.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
bigbob73 USER_AVATAR
bigbob73
Rustler

Postby bigbob73 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:29 am

smoke rings are overrated and not should not be a part of the judging.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:55 am

I usually wrap my briskets in foil @ around the 150-160 mark on internal temp, and finish cooking it that way. (I know mentioning this is probably gunna open up a can of worms as to should/ shouldn't you foil) Obviously the foiling softens the bark, but I usually have a good showing with this approach... That being said I'm going to say the flavor and tenderness is going to effect your outcome more than having a soft/ crispy bark.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 am

RWBTEX wrote:Me thinks your guess is right, i try to have a nice one like you have there and put a light seasoning or salt on it before slicing but I've seen some win that looked and tasted like they were boiled in an oven, go figure. the biggest thing I see losing at the judges table is a tough under cooked brisket or a over cooked very dry brisket. Good luck.

Agreed but they sure make the presentation nicer, eye appeal, remember we eat with our eyes first.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I know they say that "the smoke ring is not a part of the judging", I believe that is BS. If i'm judging brisket and theres no smoke i wouldnt score it as high as one with a smoke ring.......just my .02 cents......
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Southern Pride BBQ wrote:I know they say that "the smoke ring is not a part of the judging", I believe that is BS. If i'm judging brisket and theres no smoke i wouldnt score it as high as one with a smoke ring.......just my .02 cents......

I agree, I've even heard a head judge mention this as favorable criteria at a comp. last year that I helped judge. Right or wrong I know I heard it.
pg smoker USER_AVATAR
PG Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby PG Smoker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

We just hosted a BBQ Competition and though I was not part of the judging, I was around to hear much of the after judging chatter...They all seemed to be ecited about a couple of teams that had a great bark on their brisket. They didn't seem too excited about the ones that appeared too soupy.

Bottom line, the briskets with good bark, got high votes...go with bark my friend.
Brian Rush
Owner
Premier Grilling - The Outdoor Kitchen Experts!
7776 W. Main St. Suite 300
Frisco, TX 75033
www.premiergrilling.com
469-342-3461 ext 101
pg smoker USER_AVATAR
PG Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby PG Smoker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm

the key is to have a tender and juicy center with a nice bark. This can be challenging to perfect, but if it were easy, we would all be BBQ Champions...I get my best bark when I do not wrap with foil. I have recently abandoned foil all together. It is hard to do on some smokers because they dry the meat out so bad. I have found that mine doesn't dry out the brisket when I cook it right. It comes out lloking like a hockey puck, but there is nothing but juicy goodness on the inside.
Brian Rush
Owner
Premier Grilling - The Outdoor Kitchen Experts!
7776 W. Main St. Suite 300
Frisco, TX 75033
www.premiergrilling.com
469-342-3461 ext 101
critter01
Pilgrim

Postby critter01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 am

Your brisket looked great,but I do believe that some sign of smoke would help its appearance, maybe it's your wood what are you using?
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 pm

critter01 wrote:Your brisket looked great,but I do believe that some sign of smoke would help its appearance, maybe it's your wood what are you using?

Yes, I think a smoke ring would definitely help appearance wise. What I've been doing lately is sprinkling some regular salt over the brisket about 6-8 hours before I rub the brisket with regular rub and put it on the grill. I also put the brisket straight from the fridge onto the cooker. These 2 things gives me a slight smoke ring that IMO makes for a nicer presentation. I also use True Cue lump which is very dense along with some oak chunks which gives the meat a nice smoke flavor.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”