More difficult to get right---ribs,chicken, or brisket?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:55 am

This is sort of an informal poll. Just interested in what people's opinions are. Your answer can detail your opinion regarding competitions or general/backyard smoking.

The three meats offer different challenges. Chicken--got to achieve moist meat with crispy skin. Ribs--gotta get them tender, but not too tender. There are so many subjective preferences when it comes to ribs--sauced/glazed vs dry, etc.
Brisket--gotta have patience and skillful temperature control, a crispy bark, tender/juicy/smoky meat.

It's a common notion (especially in Texas), that brisket is the toughest meat to smoke to perfection, but I've gotta go with ribs--just so many subjective preferences.
Last edited by uttexas on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
fullofbull USER_AVATAR
Fullofbull
Rustler

Postby Fullofbull » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 am

Since I don't comps I couldn't say since I don't have the pressure. But at the house I would say chicken would be the worst. I like them done so we don't get sick but I don't like em dry.
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: More difficult to get right---ribs,chicken, or brisket?

Postby ecto1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 am

uttexas wrote:This is sort of an informal poll. Just interested in what people's opinions are.

The three meats offer different challenges. Chicken--got to achieve moist meat with crispy skin. Ribs--gotta get them tender, but not too tender. There are so many subjective preferences when it comes to ribs--sauced/glazed vs dry, etc.
Brisket--gotta have patience and skillful temperature control, a crispy bark, tender/juicy/smoky meat.

It's a common notion (especially in Texas), that brisket is the toughest meat to smoke to perfection, but I've gotta go with ribs--just so many subjective preferences.

If we are talking comps then chicken is the one I think is most subjective to the judges taste. That is why most questions about comps on this forum is about chicken it will frustrate you that you get a walk one week than with the same product not hit final table the next. I think chicken is the hardest to be consistent in. Ribs one you have down are the easiest they are basically cooked by time so you can set your clock and not mess up as long as your temps are stable. Brisket may be the hardest to learn but the winners are always very consistent.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:02 am

Probably not an answer you want, but over the past couple years ours has changed. Started out awesome in chicken with lots of walks (ribs and brisket gave us fits), then ribs were our easiest (chicken became a challenge) and now it looks like our brisket has taken over as our most consistent. I feel like when we do well in something we focus our efforts on a category that isn't doing well and when we fix that problem our neglected category takes a step back. I think the key for our team moving foward is to just get a product we are consistent with in all categories and just run with it. We're still pretty new to the game so I'm not worried about our progression to this point. Overall I think chicken though would be the one category that is the toughest to get consistent results in. Your trying to hit a smaller done temp window than the others and you face lots of options with glazing, injecting, brining, dry rub etc......just so many variables to try.
"Sic 'em Bears"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 am

The most difficult to be consistent on is chicken by far...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm

I'll just say this... the first cookoff I ever did I got a call for 3rd on brisket out of about 25 teams. After that I went nearly a year before getting another call, during that time I hit on fajitas, ribs, chicken, Friday Night Feast and some of those a few times. Maybe it's just me or the area I'm in but I find brisket hard to nail down.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
snow bunny USER_AVATAR
Snow Bunny
Cowboy

Postby Snow Bunny » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 am

This is my first year doing comps and have cooked in 5 so far and chicken has by far been the most consistent for me, i have gotten a call in every one with a best of 3rd and worst of 7th, i'm still working on brisket and ribs, they have been hit and miss so far but i will get them down someday.
This is the Pits BBQ
Custom Trailer Smoker by Gatorpit
22 Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Spirit Gasser
22 Weber OTG
Mini WSM Chicken Cooker
tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Postby Tuck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:02 pm

ecto1 wrote:
uttexas wrote:This is sort of an informal poll. Just interested in what people's opinions are.

If we are talking comps then chicken is the one I think is most subjective to the judges taste. That is why most questions about comps on this forum is about chicken it will frustrate you that you get a walk one week than with the same product not hit final table the next. I think chicken is the hardest to be consistent in. Ribs one you have down are the easiest they are basically cooked by time so you can set your clock and not mess up as long as your temps are stable. Brisket may be the hardest to learn but the winners are always very consistent.

Ecto1 hit the nail on the head .
+1
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Always been consistent on ribs and chicken on my walks, brisket always harder to get a call for me. We always shake our head wondering why? since it usually seems so fantastic. Lately this years done better with Butchers in there. Sometimes I just over cook it, my fault on that.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 am

By the survey by events I have cooked this year, chicken has whooped me down, and ribs by far my best, brisket needas to get better to If I am gonna win anymore comps.
steveblount USER_AVATAR
steveblount
Pilgrim

Postby steveblount » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm going to chime in and agree with the chicken folks. Trickiest one to get a good process/flavor profile worked out and consistency is always an issue. Since I've been doing ribs and briskets since I was knee high to a tall duck...those are the best for me once we nailed doing comp flavor and texture profiles. Growing up in Texas we didn't get a lot of pulled pork so that took a bit of doing.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Havent cooked that kind of pork since about three years
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 pm

To me brisket is the one that always leaves me scratching my head.

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”