Pork butt

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Pork butt

Postby Trail Blazer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Ok last week at the nucore cookoff I came in 14 th on pulled pork . It was the first time I've cooked it at a cookoff . I am not a big pork eater so I need to practice . Today I am going to cook one with peach instead of Apple that I used last weekend . I will post pics along the way

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Re: Pork butt

Postby Trail Blazer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:33 pm

trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Postby Trail Blazer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:34 pm

cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Looking great so far
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 pm

OK looking for the finish. Coming along nice. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Postby Trail Blazer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Maybe its just me but pork is bland are u supposed to add seasoning after you pull it apart ?
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Its not just you, its most of us raised in Texas who, at a "BBQ" ate brisket as we grew up. You can add seasoning, most add as sauce to help the flavor.

The color on your pork looks nice. Most everyone I know injects pork with something, you can find tons of info on the internet. Then, when foiling, you need to fill that foil with a similar concoction.

You will have to decide if your going to pull or slice / chop as there are different temps for each. This could be dictated by the sanctioning body.

Like any comp meat, practice, practice, practice.

My corporate and military travels had me in living and travelling through almost every state. While it may seem bland, I can only provide guidance my son in his youthful wisdom told me and I have found to be 100% accurate. "Dad, when you get outside of Texas, eat the pork".

As much as we struggle to cook pork, the rest of the country ( with a few exceptions) struggles to cook a decent brisket.

Good luck!
trail blazer USER_AVATAR
Trail Blazer
Pilgrim

Postby Trail Blazer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I guess i need to try more pork out of Texas. My hang up with cooking pork for a comp is if u use a sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays then that judge may think hmm thats just how i make it at home and if it taste like mine it must be good . oh well i guess that will be my rant for now . And as with anything practice is allways the best way but i don't like pulled pork . At least with Brisket even my worst one i enjoyed eating :D
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:19 pm

for pork u need a good injection..i use a combo of applejuice and a few other liquid things that play well..also are u using a Rub? and if so what are u using as a binder? arr u brining or marinating the pork b4 u cook it at all? Pork is a pretty blank canvas..and if u feel its bland kick up the s[ices and get u a good injection recipe..that will get ur flavor deep in there..as for a finishing sauce...good pulled pork..after pulling and saucing...u wont be able to tell its sauced by look...alot of people like a Vinegar based sauce..or mustrd based to give the pork a little kick..hope it helps... :geek:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”