Brisket Injection Quarshchun??

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I know many of us inject our briskets for competitions and what not, just out of curiosity has anyone ever thought/ tired injecting a brisket prior to putting it on the pit and about 1/2 way into your cook injecting it again with warm fluids (as not to lower the internal temperature) ?? Or would this cause more harm than good by allowing the internal juices to run out?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Brisket Injection Quarshchun??

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:25 pm

You answered your own question, don't do it. The meat is under intense internal pressure you go poking anything into it and it will loose its juices an it WILL BE A DRY BRISKET.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Exactly what I thought Blu. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly.
Despite taking first in brisket in last weekends cookoff, my brisket has seemed a little more dry the past few times I have done it and I'm trying to improve on this, so I'm searching for ideas. I usually cook @ 250, wrap when the internal temp is around 160 and add a cup of broth and finish when the internal temp is 195-205... any ideas as to how I could keep it more moist??
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:21 pm

I add some canolla oil to my injection it seems to help. You might want to check the amount of salt in your injection. Salt(sodium) will push out the moisture in the meat there is a fine line between enough for flavor and making it dry. Ever had country ham??
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Second the canola oil and then letting it rest long enough helps too.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Plan on doing one tomorrow and I'll try both of these and let you guys know how it turns out. Now that it's been mentioned I'm beginning to think that the resting part could be some of my issue, if I recall right one I did a few months back sat a few hours few slicing in an ice chest and turned out great.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:54 pm

jtilk wrote:Exactly what I thought Blu. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly.
Despite taking first in brisket in last weekends cookoff, my brisket has seemed a little more dry the past few times I have done it and I'm trying to improve on this, so I'm searching for ideas. I usually cook @ 250, wrap when the internal temp is around 160 and add a cup of broth and finish when the internal temp is 195-205... any ideas as to how I could keep it more moist??

I'd say work on ensuring you can duplicate the recipe and the results of the brisket you cooked that took 1st in that cook off before I go changing things.

Resting, as mentioned, helps to get all the moisture forced out back in.

My brisket has fallen off the charts, so I may not be the best source, but good luck!
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:59 am

I really don't like the idea, when your brisket gets to a certain point, it is under a lot of pressure, while breaking down the fats, kinda like a sausage link when you bite into it and it explodes, could be wrong here, but I don't recommend it.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 pm

This thread is so confusing. I have been cooking briskets for 15 yrs, over ten yrs competition. I've cooked hundreds of briskets, regular and injected...no briskets gonna explode, that's crazy. I inject all comp briskets and do not inject any catering briskets. The reason I don't is because the injection is too expensive for this ... I never have dry briskets, cooked either way....it just depends on what your trying to accomplish.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:07 pm

3 star redneck wrote:no briskets gonna explode, that's crazy...

Muslim briskets do!

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I usually wear a flak jacket, kevlar gloves and a shielded motorcycle helmet when I inject into a hot brisket...It takes a little longer (due to the suiting up part), but has definitly saved my good looks from the possibility of one exploding while tending to it...
Be safe!!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
geeksmoke USER_AVATAR
GeekSmoke
Rustler

Postby GeekSmoke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Now that would be an episode of Pitmasters worth watching.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-John 15:13
"Who is John Galt?"-Ayn Rand
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:51 pm

3 star redneck wrote:This thread is so confusing. I have been cooking briskets for 15 yrs, over ten yrs competition. I've cooked hundreds of briskets, regular and injected...no briskets gonna explode, that's crazy. I inject all comp briskets and do not inject any catering briskets. The reason I don't is because the injection is too expensive for this ... I never have dry briskets, cooked either way....it just depends on what your trying to accomplish.....

I'm not saying the briskets I have been cooking have been really dried out, just more than I am used to. I'd like to see the juices running out when I cut into it, but haven't been seening this as of late. Needless to say I took BluDawg's suggestion, added some canola oil and let it rest a little long and this one was just overall a great brisket.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Glad it work for you.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
fullofbull USER_AVATAR
Fullofbull
Rustler

Postby Fullofbull » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 am

Hmm that's new Canola Oil mixed with injection. How much do you add in. I usually mix 1/2 cup of powder to 2 cups of liquid. Would I back off the liquid for the canola?? Or just add canola to the 2 cups??

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”