Injection darkness

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Injection darkness

Postby Chitlins Rule » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:26 pm

While competing this weekend, and injecting my brisket for the first time, I noticed dark spots in the meat, could someone enlighten me as to what causes this, is my injection needle to large or is it in the injection itself, which was a combination of something I bought and beef broth.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Injection darkness

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Depends on what you injected.....and what you mixed it with......that's what causes it.....
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Ritter's beef injection and beef broth
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm

We used the same injection this weekend and had no marks. I suspect your needle is too large. Get a medical IV flush syringe with a 14 gauge fill needle. very sharp and cuts into the meat rather than pushing muscle aside and makin big holes that creat dark spots. Pepper will pass thru the 14 gauge. Get the needles at a vet supply. Syringes can be bought at tractor supply but the largest needle they have is 16 gauge and that will not let pepper thru.
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Make sure you keep the needle and syringe very clean before and after use. Bacteria can react with the meat fibers causing the streaking.
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:07 am

BigDave wrote:We used the same injection this weekend and had no marks. I suspect your needle is too large. Get a medical IV flush syringe with a 14 gauge fill needle. very sharp and cuts into the meat rather than pushing muscle aside and makin big holes that creat dark spots. Pepper will pass thru the 14 gauge. Get the needles at a vet supply. Syringes can be bought at tractor supply but the largest needle they have is 16 gauge and that will not let pepper thru.

:thap:
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
jerry516planes USER_AVATAR
Jerry516planes
Pilgrim

Postby Jerry516planes » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Kevin_Texas wrote:Make sure you keep the needle and syringe very clean before and after use. Bacteria can react with the meat fibers causing the streaking.

This what I found to be true. When in doubt Soap and Water.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 pm

BigDave wrote:We used the same injection this weekend and had no marks. I suspect your needle is too large. Get a medical IV flush syringe with a 14 gauge fill needle. very sharp and cuts into the meat rather than pushing muscle aside and makin big holes that creat dark spots. Pepper will pass thru the 14 gauge. Get the needles at a vet supply. Syringes can be bought at tractor supply but the largest needle they have is 16 gauge and that will not let pepper thru.

Because it's a smaller hole, do you think this would help with keeping more of your injection in the meat rather than having it ooze out? Or is it inevitable?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
fullofbull USER_AVATAR
Fullofbull
Rustler

Injection darkness

Postby Fullofbull » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Try injecting with Beef Consume' it does not the parts that beef broth has in it, and besides its a much better flavor
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:02 pm

jtilk wrote:

Because it's a smaller hole, do you think this would help with keeping more of your injection in the meat rather than having it ooze out? Or is it inevitable?

Josh, If you get it saturated there will be some leakage. But there is not as much. More injection stays in the meat. You can press down on the injection site and that will stop a lot of the leakage.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”